Over run Sub - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2005, 18:59   #1 (permalink)
If Only I Had Lexus Power

Over run Sub

Hey Guys,

Hoping someone can help, I have a 450wrms powering a kenwood 12" 200 wrms sub, At higher levels the sub looses eficiency and dosent reproduce clear bass lines.

Will replacing the sub with an alpine type r and encloseure fix the over run problem or do i need to look at my amp instead , I am also running a 7 band electronic eq and crossover with seperate sub control

Thanks

Ash
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 ---- W 16 Configuration, Quad Turbo 1001 HP, 1250Nm, 4 Wheel Drive
redGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2005, 05:39   #2 (permalink)

Re: Over run Sub

What sort of sub is in the car now?What sort of enclosure is it in? How big or small is the box? Is the box built to the makers specs?

Maybe just redesigning the enclosure would fix your problem!If the sub is in a box try this:block off about 1/4 of the box with soild dense objects (phone books and such will do for this exersize).If this tightens the sound up make a smaller box.
:If that fails fill the box with foam or old pillows or blankets and if this fixes your problem make the box larger.You could try inverting the sub also.
:If these tips don't help just go and buy the Alpine sub cos they do sound pretty good in a rather small enclosure.

I was running 2 DDDrive subs (only rated to handle 200wrms) on a DLS A6 with 1000wrms+ and they worked fine in the right enclosure.In this case a sealed enclosure of 46 liters mounted in the boot foor area with the subs inverted in a EF falcon that did 138db in spl mode and 132 in sound quailty mode.I could have got more db out of them but I am more into sound quailty and didn't wan't to replace them all the time at $1000.00 each they were not cheap!
MEX351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 00:45   #3 (permalink)

the sub is an Kenwood 200wrms unit with one of those prefabricated mdf boxes that are sold with many lower end systems, Unsure of the litres
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 ---- W 16 Configuration, Quad Turbo 1001 HP, 1250Nm, 4 Wheel Drive
Old 07-24-2005, 03:07   #4 (permalink)

Just try turning the sub around so that the magnet is facing up not the cone of the woofer.Sometimes people will sell you a free air sub or a boxed sub and not inform you so you can just end with the wrong sub for the job!I'm not saying all shops are like this but it can happen.Plus a sub that is not in it's ideal enclosure will sound like crap but that is thru no fault of the speaker itself.Kenwood are not known to make crap so don't give up on the sub just yet.
As your sub came boxed or with a enclosure I would try the tip above first before spending any money just yet,who knows it may work or at least help point you in the right direction.But just try these tips out first as It may just work for you.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:30   #5 (permalink)

the problem may have been that i was running with not enough gain on the amp for the sub and driving the h/u too hard , Have turned the gain up and reset the eq bands on the actice x over , All seems good so far.... But will need to upgrade at a later stage
Old 07-24-2005, 04:55   #6 (permalink)

Your gain control should really be set as a voltage level not volume control.If you have a head unit with 4 or 6 or 8 volts preout the amp should be set accordingly.Your head unit should state it's voltage output. That is if your head unit has 8 volts pre out you won't have to turn your gain on the amp up as high to get a good clear signal.

Well it's good to hear you are getting somwhere with it though.A little tune up or fiddle can often be a good thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security