Pioneer DEH-P3550MP into EF - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2003, 06:24   #1 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Pioneer DEH-P3550/5550MP into EF

I'm looking at upgrading the stereo in the Fairmont (even before i actually take delivery). At the moment I'm looking at Head Units and prices etc.

Does anyone know much about the pioneer range? More specifically the DEH-P3550MP? It plays CD/CDR/MP3, has one pre-out, has an optional remote and is 4X50W. It's around the $390 mark on sale at a local Car Audio store - is that a good price, and is it a decent unit?

The other option I was looking at was a JVC for around the same money, but it is a lower power rating and was short a few options.

Also, I plan to install Pioneer TS-A1670S 6" 3-way speakers in the front doors - anyone running these? Are they good value for money (at around $130 a pair)? Will they fit straight in to an EF Fairmont? The guy at the shop told me that the Falcon had 4" speakers in the front, but the Fairmont had 6" so it shouldn't be a problem!

Any and all help appreciated.

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)

Last edited by JC-XR8; 06-28-2003 at 02:49.
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2003, 06:50   #2 (permalink)
Mechanical Dumbass

i recently got my mp3 player off ebay. It's a JVC KDSX990, 4X50watts and all the other usual features. i payed a tad under $300 including a $60 shipping fee (brand new unopened with warranty). i havent been bothered to look for the price of that model in australia but im pretty sure its well over $400, unless prices have gone down recently. I have heard good stuff about that pioneer DEH-P3550MP so if u like it go for it, but have a look on ebay you could save well over $100.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:00   #3 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Thanks EA2s - I've had a look on Aussie e-bay and there's not much there. I'll look at the US one later and see what i can see!

The pioneer one certainly has heaps of features, with multiple inputs etc - price is the only thing, but looking around on some US sites, this does seem fairly cheap.

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
Old 06-10-2003, 07:22   #4 (permalink)

I'm going to be putting a Pioneer DEH-P5550MP into my EB2 when it arrives. Locally in Hobart they sell for $600 in Autobarn and the same in another store. Got mine on ebay for $375 + $25 shipping. Not to shabby!

Mods:
Fairmont dash, Pioneer DEH-P5550MP, Trip Computer, XH Snorkel, EL Thermo Fans
crYnOid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 07:30   #5 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Looks like e-bay is the way to go then!

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
Old 06-11-2003, 05:27   #6 (permalink)
8 cylinder symphony

Quote:
Originally posted by JCHADby2
Thanks EA2s - I've had a look on Aussie e-bay and there's not much there. I'll look at the US one later and see what i can see!

The pioneer one certainly has heaps of features, with multiple inputs etc - price is the only thing, but looking around on some US sites, this does seem fairly cheap.
b careful when buying decks from the US as their radio stations range different frequecies, so you may not be able to program all australian radio stations....i think US stations go from 70 point something to 90 point something, compare to australias 87-108
b-juggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 06:14   #7 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Thanks for the warning. Will have to make sure they have the full Aussie range. I might just get this one at the price above - at least it will have warranty!

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
Old 06-11-2003, 07:18   #8 (permalink)

I don't know about FM but with AM the US radios change frequency in 10kHz sections. Aus radios change in 9kHz sections. So many AM stations would have poor quality sound if any at all. I think Japanese stations go between 70-90, not sure on the US.

Mods:
Fairmont dash, Pioneer DEH-P5550MP, Trip Computer, XH Snorkel, EL Thermo Fans
crYnOid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 10:21   #9 (permalink)

HU

I like Pioneer. Look into the premiere stuff. On ebay its usually not much more. You can buy warranties from ebay for any new or used product you bid on and win so you don't have to worry about getting ripped.
I'm not familiar with that model...I'm saving up for the DEH-p740mp. Nice features and I've heard many good things about it. I don't know if that is the same size you need. I've noticed that most steps up in model numbers for the premiere series on ebay is not that much more in price. The 740 model number is the first with the three 4v outs and mp3 and then they go up in price with the higher models that most people don't need.
doombious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 06:47   #10 (permalink)
EL XR6 - w00t

I bought a Pioneer DEH-P5550MP a few months ago for my EL XR6, I had some Pioneer 6 inchs for the front and 6x9s for the back, unfortunately one 6 inch was stuffed :( :(

Anyway, it sounds f'n brilliant and looks fantastic. I've always gone pioneer. I'd really recommend a sub for a large falcon, the bass dies in the cabin. Unfortunately its not on my spending list!

Anyway, they're a good buy, even the model down is I hear. A word of warning, they're hard to put in without brackets. I had to drill some holes and pop-rivet the bracket in :)
dcliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security