Premium Sound Re-Write - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2003, 23:05   #1 (permalink)

Premium Sound Re-Write

This is a challenge to all the coders out there.....I am trying to find out how to get a copy of the code running the Premium display LCD and re-write it to have a better looking interface, surely there is a better way to display these settings etc on the colour (dare i call it that??) screen?

Any one with ideas or similar thoughts i am interested in what you think, it cant be that hard, some of my friends built there own in-car mp3 players and in-car xbox systems.....but we cannot get a copy of the original code to work with!!

Mr_XR
--
AUII XR6 Manual (Current)
BA XR8 Manual (On Order)
Mr_XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2003, 17:12   #2 (permalink)
Sideways..

Re: Premium Sound Re-Write

I dont think you can do it easily
cos I had a XT company car to drive around a few times and when the LCD is turned off you can still see the pictures and letters behind it, so by the looks of it you can only work with whats already there.. not like a lcd display with pixels everywhere that you can work with and turn on each individual 'pixel'.
i may be wrong though :)

Xtreme 275.6 rwkw, 12.93 sec quater, Phoon CAI, Siemens Injectors, StealthFX BOV with XBOX entertainment.
XF Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 20:48   #3 (permalink)
BA Turbo

Youll probably find that thats either a result of the image being burnt into the screen or the fact that when an LCD is turned off the image still remains until its refreshed.
mattyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 22:27   #4 (permalink)
My Neck Hurts....

No, the Standard and Prestige displays are all hard-coded LCD's - like a digital watch. It flips over to black, and unflips it to clear. No two images can occupy the same spot.

The Premium displays use a 3-colour Pixel-based TFT display - and is what is used for the Satellite Navigation. It's not a full feature screen like that on your notebook, and the resolution is quite poor compared to a notebook display.

But I too would be interested to see if this can be customised. Maybe with a Service Pack 1 for the BCM. Wouldn't it be cool to have a backdrop of your family on the display while you drive (Or Elle Macpherson in her hayday if you are single), or have a custom 'screen saver' of some sort.

Programmable displays and Pixel-Based instrumentation are the way of the future if you ask me....

Lukeyson
Luke Plaizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 23:28   #5 (permalink)
Sideways..

Ok cheers for clearing that up Luke.
Theres programs you can download off the net for putting out images or winamp details..etc onto LCD/TFT displays and stuff like that.
I suppose the first thing to do, is for someone to figure out what signals are going into that display, and where they are coming from...etc

Xtreme 275.6 rwkw, 12.93 sec quater, Phoon CAI, Siemens Injectors, StealthFX BOV with XBOX entertainment.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:27   #6 (permalink)
Ford Member

Ha!! This will be a right royal pain, you have to find where its stored, then find a way of getting a image off it, then figure out how the image works, then flash it back up to where it lived previously. Knowing ford its all prob messy and encrypted some how.

On engine ECU this is worth it, because people will pay big $'s to get another 100, 200, 400 Hp out of a engine or do something complicated, however people won't pay $1000's of to do it to a Font on there screen..

Apparently the resolution is NTSC (which is crazy, we live in a pal world). Im guessing it is flashable someway..

Sounds like you would have to be really friendly with the people at ford or their contractors who wrote it, or know a really really smart bored dealer tech.. You would have to be really familiar with this kind of stuff.

Can someone at ford please post something about updating the screen on the ICC thing? Standard settings are a little yuck. Not to mention pretty basic, and only in english. You would think it would be customisable to the type of car and the exterior colour option. At least..
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 22:10   #7 (permalink)

Working on that exact project guys... there's an AUX video input that can be used....

Have already made a DIY AUX audio input lead
XR6-T: Blueprint with Plexis Blueprint, Premium Sound with DIY AUX Input , Grey XR Mats for 4, XR Scuffs, Sony Ericsson HCB-30 Bluetooth Handsfree, Pollen Filter, Blue Footwells, Blue courtesy lighting, Numberplate covers. His name is Bruce.
http://www.ausmicro.com
aaronmihe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 22:14   #8 (permalink)
Sideways..

That was nice of them to include an AUX input on the rear of it :) Would ne much easier than i thought then if thats the case :)

Old 11-03-2003, 22:23   #9 (permalink)

Yeah it's where the sat nav hooks up - it's in a tough position to get to (if connecting up has to be jury rigged, easy if you have mating connector), but nothign it impossible.

It's only 8 lines to hook up covering IR sign, Video signals and display enable signal.

A.
XR6-T: Blueprint with Plexis Blueprint, Premium Sound with DIY AUX Input , Grey XR Mats for 4, XR Scuffs, Sony Ericsson HCB-30 Bluetooth Handsfree, Pollen Filter, Blue Footwells, Blue courtesy lighting, Numberplate covers. His name is Bruce.
http://www.ausmicro.com
aaronmihe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 23:58   #10 (permalink)
FPV GT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
No, the Standard and Prestige displays are all hard-coded LCD's - like a digital watch. It flips over to black, and unflips it to clear. No two images can occupy the same spot.

The Premium displays use a 3-colour Pixel-based TFT display - and is what is used for the Satellite Navigation. It's not a full feature screen like that on your notebook, and the resolution is quite poor compared to a notebook display.

But I too would be interested to see if this can be customised. Maybe with a Service Pack 1 for the BCM. Wouldn't it be cool to have a backdrop of your family on the display while you drive (Or Elle Macpherson in her hayday if you are single), or have a custom 'screen saver' of some sort.

Programmable displays and Pixel-Based instrumentation are the way of the future if you ask me....

Lukeyson
Mate I hate to say this to people on forums that I dont know, but you are an idiot, where did you get that crap from. Explain to me if it is 3 colours how it changes from grey with white and black to black with white and grey when you turn on your head lights, oh and yes it also displays the Ford logo in Blue and then when you go into the menu it displays other colours, that should have been your first signs of being wrong. The second thing that should have set you off is this, but obviously you had no prior knowledge
http://www.blaupunkt.com.au/download...ia_Release.pdf

You see the Premium display is actually fairly good and is acutally like a laptop display, but a fairly old one. It runs on 50hz not the 60hz that AU spec displays usually run on but it is not hard to convert. You will see in the link above that you can actually purchase for $1500 plus about $250 for installation a DVD unit which will connect to the premium screen and play DVD movies quite clearly. Here is a link to a demo of a DVD playing (in 3 colours LOL) http://www.blaupunkt.com.au/download/BAmovie.mpg

Sorry lukeyson but you should do a little factual research before posting crap to look good, people see posts like yours on a forum and think you are posting fact. You guys that want to do what I am in the process of doing and plugging in a PC to the Screen you can purchase just the Multimedia interface on its own installed for about $350, it just plugs into the Video in plug which is on the bottom of the ICC module and can be accessed by removing the tissue holder, to aaronmihe, there is a screw on the plug which loosens it if you want to get at it better but I would just save some dollars for the interface as it gives IR control over the interface too.

Last edited by DGROMS.com; 11-04-2003 at 00:02.
DGROMS.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security