Premium Sound XR6T - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2005, 10:09   #1 (permalink)

Premium Sound XR6T

Hi guys,

I'm new here, but I just wanted to ask a question about the premium sound. I opted to go for it, the sound it produces is quite loud and clear, the only problem I have is that there seems to be no mid-range or something. The sound just doesn't seem warm enough. I feel it is pathetic that it only comes with a bass and treble setting and that's about it. Has anyone found a way to get a warmer sound out of it. When i turn it up loud it's clear, but the treble just pierces your ears, it cuts right through. If i turn it down i get a too bassy sound. Any help or suggestions would be great. Yes i've checked to make sure it's premium, i have a colour screen and sub etc.

My car is a 2005 May XR6T MKII.
tkday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2005, 13:37   #2 (permalink)

Re: Premium Sound XR6T

The simplest way would be to upgrade the speakers. Some relatively cheap aftermarket 5x7's will improve the quality immensely.

About $300 should be enough.

Panda
Old 09-06-2005, 15:31   #3 (permalink)

I still won't be able to adjust the mid levels by replacing speakers. How has everyone else dealt with this problem?
Old 09-08-2005, 23:51   #4 (permalink)
Demeritator

Several people have pointed out that the factory sub is OK, it's the door/parcel speakers that are of low quality and this doesn't give a "warm" sound. As previously pointed out, some upgraded speakers, be it even base Alpines aor Infinity's will represent the signal much more accurately, and give a better sound. The best report I have heard is upgrading to the Boston SL80's which is a 6" speaker and a separate tweeter in a 5x7 plate. Supposed to be an awesome sound, even with the factory sub. Thing is Boston ain't a cheap brand, but I'm building a full system with it, and can't wait to give it a burl.

Even just upgrading the front doors should do all you need. The only other option is a complete new head unit ( in the tissue area ) or like me an equaliser to boost the sound from the stock deck.

Strangely I found the stock system reasonably good all things considered, and I have had several big systems.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:01   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply, i just didn't think replacing the front speakers would take out the high piercing treble noise that comes through. Is this the main source of the piercing treble? I like the idea of installing an equaliser, what is your brand and did you stick it in the tissue area and how did you actually cable it into the system?
Old 09-14-2005, 04:31   #6 (permalink)
Demeritator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkday
Thanks for the reply, i just didn't think replacing the front speakers would take out the high piercing treble noise that comes through. Is this the main source of the piercing treble? I like the idea of installing an equaliser, what is your brand and did you stick it in the tissue area and how did you actually cable it into the system?
G'day. Installing an equaliser is a half measure, but helps account for the stock head unit, and you can taylor the sound. Personally I will probably just end up with a complete Alpine head unit in the tissue area, but for now the Eq will do.

The stock head unit has line out speaker wires. These need to be converted to RCA for nearly all Eq / Amps. Line converters are available from Jaycar, but apparently the go are the Stinger SLOC2's from JB hifi .About $50 each. This will convert the stock head speaker wires to RCA to plug into an Equaliser or remote amp. Problem from there is the Equaliser usually has RCA out, so you then have to go the whole Auxillary amp thing for the speakers, rewiring etc. If you don't want to go that far, find an equaliser with line in and out, but try and find a name brand such as an older Alpine or Clarion etc. Cheap Equalisers are horrilbe at best. Mine is a soundstream 4 band EQ which is ideal as it splits the signal into fronts, rears, and a sub. There is also a sub control knob.

In order of things to do.

1. Get some decent 5x7 for the front. Alpine, Infinity, Boston if you can afford it. Money spent here gives the biggest sound return. Read the caraudioaustralia forums and look into sound deadening the doors and sealing the holes to make the doors a "box".
2. Add in an equaliser if you feel you need more control. This is a difficult area to do well. I've spent a bit of money there, and a decent head unit isn't that much more.
3. Upgrade to a 4 way amp and upgrade the rear parcel shelf speakers, but spend the money on the fronts, the rears are just fill. I'd reckon the stock sub and Ford amp would be OK for normal use. If you want more, you need to get a sub signal ( which I did with the EQ ) or via a decent head unit, again I like Alpine, but most good sets have a sub out as well. You'll then go the more expensive route of a sub amp and a sub in a box. Perhaps just upgrading the free air sub in the parcel shelf with a better free air sub or similar would be the cheapest way out, but you'd want to deaden the parcel shelf with some bitumen sheeting, dynamat, or stuff from Jaycar if you want to do it cheaper. Speakers mounted onto bitumen sheets give much better response, check out the dynamat sheets at a sound shop for the idea. I believe the stock sub is a cheaper pioneer unit, made in Japan.

For fords I have heard great things about Eclipse, Alpine and Boston speakers, Soundstream and Phoenix Gold amps ( Kicker too ) and the SLOC2's for conversion. Other amps don't apparently filter the alternator noise from the poverty stock head unit, which is a pain in the butt at best.

Enjoy the ride, it just gets more and more expensive each time. My current set up has gone stupid, but I can't wait to finish it.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:24   #7 (permalink)

Great post cogdoc.

I like the idea of your EQ. As you know, for my ute I'm getting 2 subs and plan to get some decent 6.5" splits for the front doors, but going to leave the rear speakers stock. Do you know if an EQ exists for simple front/sub control?
Terebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:59   #8 (permalink)
Demeritator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terebro
Great post cogdoc.

I like the idea of your EQ. As you know, for my ute I'm getting 2 subs and plan to get some decent 6.5" splits for the front doors, but going to leave the rear speakers stock. Do you know if an EQ exists for simple front/sub control?
Any "name brand" equaliser will do what you want, but the nineties versions had line input, it's only these days they are all RCA, which mens you need the SLOC converters. There is concern that some line converters will limit the base, by not passing low frequency, time will tell with my Stingers.

Well there's a nice Kenwood Equaliser on e-bay at the moment with $40 on it. I'd bet it has sub control, but no idea if it takes line in or out, but it looks like it might. Worth a query lads! There's a lower model as well, but it does look mighty old and cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Kenwood-Graph...QQcmdZViewItem

Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security