Ford Forums banner

A Question For The Experts

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Jase 
#1 ·
I've got a question for those who know a bit about car stereos from someone who doesn't!!!! Is there a way of connecting a powered subwoofer to the existing factory head unit & stereo system in a BA XR Ute??? The goal would be to add some extra bass to the existing premium sound option, without losing any of the factory functions through the screen display & steering wheel controls.

#2 ·
My guess would be grab another small 2 chanel amp that supports Hi Level inputs. Mount it somewhere then connect the Hi inputs to a channel by tapping into the existing speaker + and - wire for left and right channel.
Once done that bridge the sub over both channels.

You will most probably have to run another power and earth for the new amp. Unless your running another amp for the factory premium sound but its probably better to run your own 8 guage cable to the battery posative and some 6 guage to the chassis for an earth as close to the amp as possiable. Also make sure the Posative Power cable has a inline fuse as close as practicle to the Battery.

You will also need a remote switch to switch the amp on i could not find one on my Au wiring so i tapped into the ciggarete lighter power it only comes on when the car is switched on. The remote wire comes out from the amp and i ran it under the scuff panels then behind the dash to the cigarette lighter power.

Only takes around 2 - 3 hours MAX its fairly simple. If you need anymore held just ask. I did the same with my Original 6 stacker setup im running a 15 off it. Sounds heaps better just make sure you turn the bass down a little on the Original HU.

#3 ·
Thanks for that!!!! Didn't think it should be a drama. Can you wire an aftermarket amp into the existing system to power the other speakers as well, whilst still retaining the factory head unit? Effectively I think I'll be looking to replace everything but the head-unit due to the dramas associated with doing that in the BAs. If it's possible!!! I'd like to think you can retain the standard controls & keep everything looking factory whilst getting far better sound from a more powerful power supply & better speakers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.