Ford Forums banner

Replace battery on alarm

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Xyphoid 
#1 ·
Hey

My bro's Ford car alarm has been chirping 8 times everytime he unlocks it. The manual says that it is a low battery on the alarm. Apparently the Ford Dealer reakons you can't replace the battery (for it is soldered inside), and the battery needs replacing every 4 years or so. Therefore, the siren part has to be replaced, so they do a trade in on yours, and you pay the rest on the new one. What a joke!!! Does this sound true or what?

Paul

#2 ·
I have got the manual here for a similar alarm (one model below), it says to check the batt with the barrel key on the siren housing...turn it to 'test'...if there is no sound, then the batt is flat...it then says that after 6 hours of driving it should be fully chaged again.

Apart from that...I couldnt tell you if you could replace it, but I reckon anything can be replaced if you feel up to it.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info

we never knew what the test is for, but it does make the sound. the 8 chirps however, only means that the battery is low on the alarm itself, not the car. and Ford reakon after 4 years, that battery needs replacing. wow, you can't replace it. My brother actually opened the siren up, and yes, the stupid battery is soldered in. nice one ford...

Paul

#8 ·
Aussiblue said:
Get a soldering iron, unsolder battery, take old battery to Jaycar, Altronics, Disk Smith or whoever to get matching replacement and solder back in; not hard at all.
Yep, Exactly.
Jaycar has the AA and AAA with solder tabs, ready to go for this purpose !

Mine uses 4 AA Batteries.

You could even use a Battery Holder, solder the connectors on to the siren board, and then replace the batteries yourself every 3 years without having to worry about soldering ever again.

(Although this depends on the size of the siren)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.