Security Systems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2002, 17:44   #1 (permalink)

Security Systems

After reading some previous posts about people having their cars stolen I have decided to get serious about an alarm/immobiliser etc.

Now unfortunatly I have a very low budget (almost non-existent) and I drive an old car. Can people give me some advice on what to fit and if it is possible to DIY it.

My situation is this:
I drive a XB Falcon ute. Now it looks good (new paint/mags) but at the moment it has no stereo or other give away items. It does have an old sports steering wheel which I am going to replace with a Momo when I get a new boss kit.
The door locks are a bit dodgy and the ignition doesnt need a key. To start the car all you have to do is grab a hold of the wings on the barrel and give it a twist, inserting the key makes no difference. Is this an XB thing?

I have priced a set of SOLEX door locks at Autobarn and they are around $80, so thats in budget range. Are they hard to fit or a piece of piss? I also have a spare car, an XC Falcon ute, complete with working ignition barrel, steering lock and keys to suit. Does anyone know if this would be easy to interchange with the XB ingnition set? That would be a no expense upgrade.:s6:

I know that an imobiliser is the way to go and I would like to incorperate this with an alarm system. What prices do these go for and can anyone recommend a good brand. I want something that doesnt go off at 2am for no reason.

Cheers for any help

Simon
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2002, 17:49   #2 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

How about a couple of well placed kill switches, put one in a hidden but easily found spot, and then another one or two in other spots, most people would just find the one and think they fixed it.
Another thought, how about setting up a relay set up so that you can't start the car without the headlights on, most theives wouldn't wont to turn the lights on, so wouldn't think of that. Not sure how this could be wired up, some of the auto elecs on the site would have a better idea, but maybe a relay setup of the headlight circuit to either kick in starter or ignition or fuel pump?
Old 02-09-2002, 18:04   #3 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

www.brant.com.au

If you insure with mobs like Shannons, they demand you get this brand.
Old 02-09-2002, 18:20   #4 (permalink)
gone

Quote:
Originally posted by Jesmol
How about a couple of well placed kill switches, put one in a hidden but easily found spot, and then another one or two in other spots, most people would just find the one and think they fixed it.
Another thought, how about setting up a relay set up so that you can't start the car without the headlights on, most theives wouldn't wont to turn the lights on, so wouldn't think of that. Not sure how this could be wired up, some of the auto elecs on the site would have a better idea, but maybe a relay setup of the headlight circuit to either kick in starter or ignition or fuel pump?
Some seriously good advice for those of you on small budgets!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 19:56   #5 (permalink)

Yep I agree....
Doesnt the XB & XC share the same ignition barrels..????
You could also take your rotor button out as well..
FORDV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 20:02   #6 (permalink)

If your a DIYer then Dick Smith sell a immobiliser electronics kit, depending oh how well you hide the wiring will depend on how well it cannot be stolen. But thats the case with any Immobiliser.
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security