Speaker Pods for the XF front doors - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2002, 10:47   #1 (permalink)
Sideways..

XF front door speakers

I recently got my hands on some Kicker Impulse 5 1/4" mids and tweeters and im thinking of putting them in my car instead of the Pioneer 4" and tweeters that are currently in the car (the 4" has replaced the standard 4" speakers in the dash).

I dont really want to cut a hole straight into the door trim and mount the speaker flat in the door as they are in good nick and i feel like I will be ruining them.

My only other option is to make/buy a speaker pods for the doors. Has anyone ever done it in an XF?

Thanks,
Mike.

I just put the speaker cover in the position where I want it.. and i'll be buggered... the damn window winder turns but just clears the speaker cover when its on the door.

It seems that the only way I will be able to put a speaker there is to mount it flush (without a pod or anything) by cutting a hole in the door trim and screwing it in.

Is there another other way of doing this?

Xtreme 275.6 rwkw, 12.93 sec quater, Phoon CAI, Siemens Injectors, StealthFX BOV with XBOX entertainment.
XF Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2002, 18:44   #2 (permalink)

why don't u look around the wreckers for a set of door cards that already have the ford pods in them ..even though they are rectanglar should be no dramas.saves cutting ur's..
cracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 02:39   #3 (permalink)
Sideways..

Do you mean the fairmont door trims like this?
http://austin.axg.net/temp/ghia_door.jpg
If so I dont the 5 1/4" speakers won't fit in there :(

My original idea was to get my hands on the trim (like in the above photo) and cut off the speaker bit and integrate it with a pod which I was gonna make.. like this dude did (but not as huge!)
http://www.xrweb.co.uk/code/doorbuild.htm
But I cant do that due to the window winder moving past that area.

Another idea was to make a pod for the kick pannels, which would be great on the passenger side, but on the drivers side the pedals are in the way.

So im back to square one.

Xtreme 275.6 rwkw, 12.93 sec quater, Phoon CAI, Siemens Injectors, StealthFX BOV with XBOX entertainment.
Old 12-20-2002, 15:56   #4 (permalink)
elghia looking like blue

u will have to relocate the speaker down lower in order to miss the window winder

some thing like this maybe?

ive also attached a pic of the fibreglass pods i made for my old vk calais to give u an idea

eafairmontghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 16:01   #5 (permalink)
elghia looking like blue

this is how u should design the pods for your xf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg doorpodxf.jpg (5.3 KB, 91 views)

Old 12-20-2002, 16:02   #6 (permalink)
elghia looking like blue

this is the fibreglass pods i made for my old vk calais, its a crappy pic but its the only one i have
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vkcalaispod.jpg (27.0 KB, 92 views)

Old 12-20-2002, 23:10   #7 (permalink)
Sideways..

Yeah man what you did is basically exactly what I had in mind. It never occured to me that I could just move the speaker down a bit more because I was gonna try and fit it all inside the indent in the trim ( http://austin.axg.net/digicam/door1.jpg ).

What I might do now is buy those door pocket things from a xf fairmont (or ghia?), chop off that square speaker part and go about making a speaker pod to join onto that. Then try get it all covered in the same trim as my door is now.. or maybe velour.. i dunno?

Does that sound like a reasonable way of doing it?

Old 12-21-2002, 10:39   #8 (permalink)
Are we there yet?

XF fairmont's have a pod in the door, so does the Ghia. The difference though, is the Ghia has velour door trims, whereas the Fairmont has a plastic trim, like all other XF's. My oldies have a pair of 6" sony speakers in their XF, and the window winders -just- scrape them.
95 EF Fairmont 5.0 - Heritage Green - 4 Speed auto with AU S5 - 3.23LSD - 17x8" LWT Wheels - King Superlows - 76mm Cobra MAF - 65mm throttle - BPT Underdrive Pulley Kit - 3" Mandrel-bent Lukey exhaust - Tinted Windows - MP3 CD player - White faced dials.

117rwKw - 15.47@89.9MPH
Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 10:53   #9 (permalink)
Sideways..

So if I was to buy that trim bit that goes across the bottom of the doors from a fairmont/ghia, then I could fit in the 5 1/4" speakers into them?

Reason why im asking is that in the pictures they look rather small ( http://austin.axg.net/temp/ghia_door.jpg )

Old 12-21-2002, 16:45   #10 (permalink)
elghia looking like blue

i think alot of modifications will need to be done to the ghia pod to fit anything larger that 4"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security