ST170 Alarm - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2004, 00:17   #1 (permalink)
Lord of the RC

ST170 Alarm

Does this car come with an Alarm as std.

The brochure seems to say so, but never saw anything about it on the car

Can someone fill me in pls

Cheers

Chris
O.F.R #6 : PM Me
Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Member #4 of the MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
fordel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2004, 02:27   #2 (permalink)
Corner Hugger

Re: ST170 Alarm

Yes the ST170 comes standard with an alarm integrated with the factory key fob. Immobiliser as standard on the whole range as part of the PATS system (Passive Anti-Theft System) with a high security immobiliser which I beleive cuts two circuits in the car when armed. The red light flashing on your dash indiccates the immobiliser is armed. ST170 also includes a perimeter alarm and interior sensors to detect window breakage or movement inside the car (sensors in the front interior light above the rear vision mirror) sounding the horn if anything is wrong/broken. This teamed with deadlocks on the doors for locked inside door handles even if the window is smashed makes the Focus a seriously decent little security system. But from what I know the ST170 definitely has the interior sensors (seen them myself at work when studying the options) and it is fitted with an alarm sticker on the driver's side window. Any ST170 owners want to improve on my description?!!

Read this link (at the bottom of the 2nd page) for details and to see if I'm talking like a dodgy salesman or a decent honest one http://www.fordfocus.com.au/home/pre...release_05.pdf

Cheers,
Matt

European Ford Owners Club - Southern Region President

Last edited by Zetec; 01-21-2004 at 02:29.
Zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 04:43   #3 (permalink)
Focus user

whats the point of the whole dual locking mechanism thingamabobby. i mean...sure it certainly sounds like it secures the doors pretty good when i lock my car (in fact i liken it to a large bank vault locking with all the kachunks it makes, heh heh) but why do i have to press my key fob twice to lock it? in what realistic situation would i want to only engage the first locking stage? and why do i have to press the hatch button twice for the hatch to open? wierd i think....sorry i went off the topic a bit

If trees could scream...would we be so cavalier in cutting them down?
.....maybe.....if they screamed all the time for no good reason.
Kymera4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 05:26   #4 (permalink)
Corner Hugger

Hatch button is done twice just because it stops you accidentally bumping it, it's the least secure part of the car as there's no double lock on the hatch. Annoying but hey, it's a Focus. Wouldn't be Euro if it wasn't quirky.

As for the double lock, it stops your door being opened from inside if they smash your window. If you stay in it and double lock it, try to pull the handle and she won't open. The handle will snap before it budges the door. Just an extra security feature, physically deadlocks it. The bonus is when you deadlock it the indicators go off to so I always just press until I see the indicators go off, it's a visual thing and it reminds you it is locked. You can always just lock it once, still activates the immobiliser and locks the external handles but if anything adds protection to my baby from the random joyriding wanker then I'll press the damn thing twice

Old 01-21-2004, 14:55   #5 (permalink)

The VW system in the Golf is a bit smarter than that. If you don't want deadlocking you put the key in turn in and hold it and it makes a noise. This will either turn on or off the deadlocking. So it's either on all of the time or off all of the time. It saves having to remember every time.

Is this Ford system also in the AU and BA Falcons?
lincolnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 15:22   #6 (permalink)
Lord of the RC

Damn that sounds like a pretty serious system on the car there.

I wondered what those little things were on the interior light above my head when i was testing it, now i know, cool, im liking this car better and better everyday

All the ppl at my work like it to, they cant wait to see it as much as me hehe
Old 01-21-2004, 22:27   #7 (permalink)
Focus user

damned quirky euro cars

If trees could scream...would we be so cavalier in cutting them down?
.....maybe.....if they screamed all the time for no good reason.
Kymera4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 22:54   #8 (permalink)
Lord of the RC

yeah but gotta love em
Old 01-22-2004, 03:27   #9 (permalink)
Corner Hugger

yeah the Falcons have only single locking standard, but they come with the immobiliser also and a double push of the key fob will set off the indicators and beep the horn once to let you know it's armed.

Old 01-22-2004, 13:43   #10 (permalink)

The only thing that makes the ST170 security system reasonably secure is the bonet has a matching lock to the rest of the car & requires the key to open. The siren has no battery backup & the alarm could be disabled simply by disconnecting the battery if you could get to it. I don't believe that the alarm has a perimeter sensor either. I will check to see if it has ultrasonics in the light assy. I am a bit concerned though about the double lock system as mentioned, because they are illegal in Australia as they could stop you getting out of your car if it developed a fault in a crash. I believed that the keyfob only has to be pushed once to lock the car & able the alarm & immobiliser etc, & a second push just confirms that it is locked etc by flashing the lights & no more. The red flashing light does noting & is just an indicator that turns on when the cars ignition is off no more. Just like many factory fitted stereos that flash a red led. The car stereo is connected to the alarm system & cannot be removed without setting the alarm off which I am dreding removing one day to upgrade. Ford has no information on removing the stereo, maybe its as simple as just disconnecting the battery first.

But the real problem is that I have been unable to test the audible alarm as you have to try & break into the car & steal it to set it of. You can only arm it when locking the car with the key fob, so how do you get in. Maybe get in the car & lock the car with key fob, or if you leave a window open & try & set it off by the ultrasonic sensors if they exist might be the way of testing it. Don't know I will have to try it.

Regards Mark......
ST170X is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security