stereo - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2002, 21:44   #1 (permalink)
ford4good

stereo

I have a ea fairmont ghia with the standard premium stereo and im trying to adjust the heads. can i do this through the front tape door or do i have to take the head unit out. If i have to take it out what sort of screw driver do you need. the screw has a star shaped head with a nip in the middle.

Maybe its not the heads. My problem is the when you put a tape in it is very queit compared with the radio.

Any suggestions will help. Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2002, 21:53   #2 (permalink)
ben

take the head unit out and use lint free head cleansing material and solution. alternatively buy a head cleaner tape.

If its just the output level you can adjust amp gains internally using an output level trim pot mounted somewhere on the PCB

ben
ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 22:04   #3 (permalink)
ford4good

stereo

What's the pcb.

Will turning the amp gain up the radio level as well.
The radio level is really loud and you would never get it near half way. when you have a tape playing you can hardly hear it when its full blast.
Old 03-23-2002, 11:44   #4 (permalink)
ben

do you get alot of hissing ?

turning up the preamp gain of the tape unit wont affect the radio.

ben
ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 17:28   #5 (permalink)

Hey ford4good,

What do you mean by adjusting the heads? I didn't think you could do this.

The stereo in my ghia(standard) is loud on one side but very quiet on the other when I put a tape in. On radio they are the same. I've tried using a head cleaning tape but doesn't help.

Could you tell me more about this adjusting head thing?
Old 03-23-2002, 20:15   #6 (permalink)
ford4good

stereo

hey Ben

When i play a tape you have to turn it up a far way so you can hear it. There is hissing but i think this is caused by having the volume turned up so far. No hissing on radio.

to give you a visual idea - When you have the radio tuned into a fairly local Fm station that you recieve in Stereo.Turn it up so the volume indicator on the volume nob is pointing just under horizontal on the left. That is how loud the tape is full up with a whole lot more crackling and hissing.

The head is the part that reads the music off the tape.
When you adjust the heads you move the head to centralise the tape so it runs directly over the middle of the head. Usually adjustable by screws.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security