Stereo Upgrade BA XR6 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2003, 14:25   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up Stereo Upgrade BA XR6

Ok,

Got my BA XR6 last week with the standard system that comes in the car. I was quite surprised by the quality of the sound system, actually sounds good. However noticed it was down on clarity and speakers couldn't quite handle the bass.

First mod was to replace the A pillar trims, with the ones that have the speaker grille for the tweeter (cost $44). Installed some tweeters purchased from JAYCAR. (Jaycar tweeters come with crossover and have an excellent sound quality). Installing the tweeters was a simple matter of replacing the trim with the tweeter mounted in place. Wiring invloved accessing the kick panel on the side of the passenger and driver footwell and tapping into the speaker line going into the door. (if you need details of which line/colours let me know.)

Secondly JVC sell and excellent 5x7 100watt 2 way speaker that fits directly into the factory mounting position. ($170 p/pair) simply unscrew the original paper cone speakers and use the same screws to mount the new speakers.

The store i purchased the JVC speakers from only had one pair in stock, the other pair will arrive this week. I replaced the ones on the rear parcel shelf. Simply lift the plastic speaker grille of the shelf - its lightly clipped in, then unscrew the factory speakers, connect the new ones and screw back in. Takes about 30mins to do the coplete job.

Let me say, when i turned on the system, the difference in sound quaility was absolutely astounding. Can't wait to get the front speakers in. heaps of clarity and a nice punchy defined bass. The standard amp fitted in the car drives the speakers with no problems.

for those of you looking for an effective sound upgrade which won't cost the earth, I recommend this option.
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2003, 15:40   #2 (permalink)
gone

Some excellent advice

Now all the ba driver needs is for Alpine to develop an interface
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 15:45   #3 (permalink)
freemchr

sounds good mate.. might have to try and organise it for my car too!
Old 02-02-2003, 15:55   #4 (permalink)

Let me know if you need tips on wiring the tweeters in, or anything else for that matter.

The upgrade is well worth it. My AU had aftermarket deck with amps, splits, subs etc. Apart from the difference in Sub-bass, the quality is very similar.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:57   #5 (permalink)
"Steve has a car?"

Sorry I don't know much on the stock BA amps,

Which driver/drivers are they connected to, is it just the sub or are the front and back speakers connected also, or are they just running off the head unit?
Old 02-05-2003, 15:00   #6 (permalink)

Not quite sure, as all i did was replace the speakers. However from past experience with ford stereo's, the amp is attached to the back of the Head Unit as an upgradeable module. The premium stereo's get a different amp module. They should be interchangeable.

I used to have an EF Futura with the mid level stereo, and i lost sound out of the left channels, so i took the unit into work where our technician looked at it and explained the whole deal about the interchangeable module, he replaced two of the phillips amplifier chips in it. Stock were 25watt, so we put in 50watt chips and the sound was heaps better and louder. The chips only cost a couple of dollars from Wagner Electronics in Ashfield.

I'm assuming the BA runs a simialr concept, there may be a separate amp for the sub? i'm tempted to pull out the dash, however i have read that it's not that easy. Has anyone managed to pull out the dash???
Old 02-05-2003, 22:09   #7 (permalink)
"Steve has a car?"

My assumption would be that the front and rear speakers run off the head unit, while the amp ran the 10inch sub in the parcel shelf, am I correct? I'm just curious that's all.

Don't go pullin out the dash, if anything the amp is located in one of the rear quarter panels behind the trim.
Old 02-06-2003, 12:05   #8 (permalink)

I think you're right Rmyers, the speakers run off the headunit, while there is a small amp for the sub.

I'm looking at setting up a Sub in my BA. I got an electrical engineer mate of mine to design a crossover so i can setup a sub. Since the BA doesn't have RCA Preouts (assumption), we designed a crossover which i can tap into the rear speaker line, which sends the sub frequencies to a line level convertor which then runs into my Rubicon 1000w amp. The power comes directly from the battery, need to find a remote trigger hookup without removing the dash.

Not sure how well this will work, in theory it should work well, i'll give it a go in the next week or two.

The BA stereo has plenty of clarity and mid especially with the new JVC speakers (see first post), it just need a little more bass.

I'll let you guys know how it goes once i've done it.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:51   #9 (permalink)

Update.....

Managed to install my amp, since the BA has a carpet lining under the parcel shelf, i mounted everything under the parcel shelf, its all hidden from view. Couldn't get another set of JVC speakers, and couldn't be bothered waiting for the order to come in. I got a pair of 5x7 Boston Acoustics from Autobarn in Villawood, got them for $230. I installed them in the front doors. Sound awesome.

My mate made up the crossovers for me lastnight, I'll be wiring in the whole lot today.

In regards to amp wiring, i ran the usual battery cable directly to the battery with an inline fuse up near the battery, managed to hide the cable completely from view. Found a remote hookup behind the fusebox under the dash. Its the extra cable wich is normally used for the mobile phone connector, runs of the accessory key postition. I do realise that the amp will run even with the stero off, however i cant remember the last time i drove with the stereo off :)

Should have the sub up and running today provided there are no major hiccups.
Old 02-09-2003, 04:20   #10 (permalink)
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally posted by dk_falconXR6

I used to have an EF Futura with the mid level stereo, and i lost sound out of the left channels, so i took the unit into work where our technician looked at it and explained the whole deal about the interchangeable module, he replaced two of the phillips amplifier chips in it. Stock were 25watt, so we put in 50watt chips and the sound was heaps better and louder. The chips only cost a couple of dollars from Wagner Electronics in Ashfield.
Was this hard to do? I can use a soldering iron, and have some experience with PCB's. I'm assuming the mid-series deck is the single-DIN tape deck with the CD stacker control?
Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security