Stock No. American Ranger head unit/speakers - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2006, 11:02   #1 (permalink)

Stock No. American Ranger head unit/speakers

Hey guys,

I own a 1992 Ranger supercab truck with the stock am/fm cassette head unit and 4 speakers. 5.25" coaxals in the front doors, either 6x8 or 6x9" ovals in the rear quarter panels, just behind the seats.

It all works fine but the sound, Meh... S'ok at that. Bass is thumpy with no definition and the amp is rather puny.

Now, I got spoiled, I drove a Honda Accord LX-I, top of the line trim with top of the line stock cassette head unit and 6x9's for the rears, 6.5's for the doors and in total stock mode, it sounded excellent. Even better when I had to replace the front speakers with Boston Accoustic 2 way coaxals but left the stock full range 6x9's in the back. Great bass with definition etc. Even better when I replaced the stock head unit with a cheap Dual CD head unit with 25wx4 amp, the stock was 15wx4.

Anyway, I want to replace the stock cassette unit with a Panasonic CD unit that'll pump out 50wx4 before too long but want to keep the stock speakers, for now at least. Has anyone done exactly that? IE, replace the head unit but left the stock speakers in place and if so, how'd they sound or are they just crap and should be replaced as well?

An expert at a local car audio place said to go with a new head unit first and then the speakers as the speakers may improve with a better amp feeding them. Am leaning towards some Infinity 2 ways for both front and rears if I go all the way.

Thanks
92rangerstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security