sub/amp advice - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2004, 00:00   #1 (permalink)
I wanna eat your children

sub/amp advice

my knowledge is extremely limited...so ill make it simple

im getting this sub

http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/car_ent...box/index.html

someone suggested this amp

http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/car_ent...00t/index.html

the amp would ONLY be running the sub...and i can get both at an extremely cheap price NEW....so dont take price into account with ur advice..

are these 2 compatible etc? will it work well etc...

ill be speaking to jb hifi, but i wanted to get some un biased (sales wise) opinions

thanks
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2004, 00:44   #2 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Re: sub/amp advice

Amp bridged at 380watts rms into a 400watts rms sub, I thought this would leave the amp a little short and cause it to run a little hot when subjected to peak loads, or I have I got it wrong people, been a while since i bought any amps and subs.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 03:36   #3 (permalink)

what do you mean by leave the amp a little short?

1 other thing i wanted to ask...with the sub being able to handle 400W MAX...would it be ok running 380W into it? would it put the sub at any kind of risk of breaking etc?
Old 10-07-2004, 07:41   #4 (permalink)
AUTS50 #012

It's best to have an amp that atleast matches, or preferebly, has a higher RMS output to the sub's max RMS output. For example, a 400w RMS rated sub will need a amp that has a output of 400w RMS, or more (450w RMS at least) is preferred. The subby will still work "ok" with a little less, but as stated, will heat up quicker among a few other negatives.

Those two, that's the amp and subby will be sucking some major juice from your charging system when cranked, even at half volume. I wonder if the Telstars standard electrics can handle this?
012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 19:51   #5 (permalink)

shit...didnt think about anything like that....just because i dont know anything about car audio etc...

so how the hell would i have any kind of system in my car....ie, do i have to have a weak ass system, or something else can be done...

also, you say that its better to have the amp with more power than the subs max RMS....doesnt that mean theres too much power and the sub cant handle it?

considering your advice augzmk, i think its safe to say im open to suggestions on a sub/amp combo if this 1 wont work
Old 10-08-2004, 00:12   #6 (permalink)
EA Dumped on its arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwob
also, you say that its better to have the amp with more power than the subs max RMS....doesnt that mean theres too much power and the sub cant handle it?
In general as long as you dont drive your drivers into distortion then u can safely use an amp which exceeds the power rating of the speaker although ive heard tweeters will crap themselves pretty quickly if run too much in excess of their power rating

For 2 years i have been using a alpine mrv-1507 amp to power two jl audio 12 inch subs rated at 125w rms each and have been feeding them 900w rms each into a 2 ohm load without any problems

1988 EA Falcon CFI Slug
gtfalcon351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 00:21   #7 (permalink)
AUTS50 #012

What's your current alternators output in amps? You can have a big system, might need to upgrade your current alternator and battery.

You can never have too much power Tuned properly, it's the best way to go.

I reckon a subby of 200w/250w RMS with a 300w/350w RMS is plenty enough for the Telstar. Unless you going for a "full on system".
012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 03:16   #8 (permalink)

no idea about the altenator...

and as for what im goin for...i just want some real bass...my un amped 6x9's used to do the job...but they just dont seem to cut it anymore...
Old 10-08-2004, 06:28   #9 (permalink)
LG
Silver Star

Looks like I was wrong. Thanks for the info guys..

Maybe, this would be the better amp, for me included.

http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/car_ent...ex.html#anch_0

2 x 300W RMS.

You might need to look at getting a small capicitor? That way, you won't keep getting flat batteries...

Would he need it guys? And as for me, i'll be running probably that amp, and another 2 channel amp. Would I need a small capicitor, or can the AU alternator be enough to cope?

For Sale: EF Airbox Lid - $30
LG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 10:06   #10 (permalink)
EA Dumped on its arse

Capacitors will allow you to achieve better bass if you are running subs/amps which are thirsty on current and you notice things such as head lights/interior lights dimming whilst a big bass note is getting pumped out by the subs,

they are wired in serial with your amp power wire and store power when the sub is not punching out a big note and then supplement the power going to the amp if it is struggling to get sufficient current during a big bass note

you should choose at least a .5 farad capacitor per 500 watts RMS of power output

1988 EA Falcon CFI Slug
gtfalcon351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security