sub in xf ute without cutting metal - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2004, 04:50   #1 (permalink)

sub in xf ute without cutting metal

i have an 85 xf ute, the original stereo i installed consisted of alpine cd hu, 6&1/2"(?) DD splits, rf amp and 8" bazooka tube.

the head unit and sub were stolen. hu replaced with a kenwood.

i'd like to fit a 10" conventional sub behind the passenger seat but the max volume would end up being around 1 cuft.

i have a juni 10" which is specced for a sealed box at 2 cuft, how much worse would it sound in a 1 cuft box?

or does anyone have any suggestions?

i am not interested in cutting a large hole and using a sub in infinite baffle to the tray, or building a box under the tray and porting it into the cab. those are the only ways i've seen to get decent bass in a ute.

Last edited by heller44; 03-01-2004 at 04:52.
heller44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2004, 08:55   #2 (permalink)

Re: sub in xf ute without cutting metal

2 cf sealed for a 10"!?

That enclosure size is huge for a sealed 10" sub. Most subs these days can run down to sizes of 0.4cf... :D
Fhrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 14:26   #3 (permalink)

so what you are saying is to ditch the juni and buy something newer.

noone has any idea what would happen if i ran this one a 1cuft box?
Old 03-01-2004, 14:30   #4 (permalink)
Fords biggest Freak

Can't help you with that, but the best place that I have seen to mount a sub in the X series ute (if you have bucket seats) is smack bang between them. Make a box up and mount aginst the rear of the cabin facing forwards. Looks awesome as well. My bro did this in his XG ute, it was only a small box, but because it's right next to you, it thumped.
Old 03-01-2004, 14:33   #5 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

If you dont wont to cut metal, and you don't care about the centre fold part for longer loads, then stick the box there, I had a box like having an LPG tank across the boot, and the removed the plastic etc from behind the fold down bit, then put speaker cloth accross it to hide the sub, and then fold down the arm rest in the centre to let the BASS out, was damn good, oh my car was a fairmont, so if you have that or above you could do that if you wanted too.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 15:24   #6 (permalink)

If the sub NEEDS 2cf then yes, I would recommend getting something a little smaller. Remember it's not about cone area so much but power.

One of our demo cars runs an 8" and when powered by 500 watts it punches out titanic amounts of bass!

Click to view. :D
Fhrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 23:45   #7 (permalink)

i had an xg xr6 ute which i tried everything in- 2 x 6" bazookas behind the seats, 1 x zr10" behind the centre console in the most awkward shaped box you have ever seen- but ended up doing exactly what i didn't want to- cutting metal. here is the best way to do it, and it is absolutly awesome. i used an alpine 10" zr sub bridged to the rear channels of a f305 apline v12 amp and had a home made 18mm mdf box with two chambers- the chamber withthe magnet side of the sub was sealed and the chamber with the face of the woofer had two 4" ports around 6" long each. the metal was cut (2x4" holes) behind the drivers' seat, box put in the tray, beneath the cover- next to the fuel tank, and the two pvc ports banged into the box from the inside. you never see them, but you can hear it coming miles away- by far the best system in any of my cars to date- and i have a t3 with 7k system now!!!
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 23:23   #8 (permalink)

thanks all for your suggestions.

fhrx, those are some nice installs there champ.

jimt3te50, that was the way i knew of to get good bass as well, but was hoping to fit it into the cab.

looking at getting a 10" pioneer and building a 1 cuft box behind the passengers seat, or there abouts, and then if it doesn't tweak my nipples enough, i'll look at building a box under the tray and porting it in.

all depends on how serious i get, up till now quality has been the main objective, with the ddd gear. i know that the pioneer isn't really decent, but price dictates here unfortunately.

but i do like thump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security