Subs and power - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2005, 18:29   #1 (permalink)

Subs and power

If i have a 400 wrms sub does that mean i have to put that much power into it or could i put 150-200 wrms in it, would it wreak that sub or what,

Thanks to anyone that can help
E_futura_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2005, 18:33   #2 (permalink)

Re: Subs and power

no it wont mess your subs up.. just don't go over the limit.. then it will blow. have fun.. and what kind of subs and amp are you running?
02cougardriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 04:09   #3 (permalink)

You can underpower a sub and blow it.Thats why you run as big a amp as you can get (mine is a DLS mono with over 1000 wrms) and it ran two Alpine DDDrive subs (only rated at 200 wrms) for two years without any dramas.And before that they were run off a Alpine 1505 with about 900 wrms for about 4 years.

The more power you have the less you have to push your gear to get sound quality and volume or db if thats what you are after.A over worked small amp will clip earlier and send a dirty signal that can kill a sub just as easy as over powering it.I have not killed a sub yet, with this much power on tap you find yourself turning the bass and subs down a bit to hear the front end,thats partly because it now runs two 15's and they are only a few inches from me behind the seats in the cab of my ute.
MEX351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 19:54   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02cougardriver
no it wont mess your subs up.. just don't go over the limit.. then it will blow. have fun.. and what kind of subs and amp are you running?
Im thinking about the 400RMS subs that pioneer have and im not quite sure what amp to get, thanks for the reply
Old 10-01-2005, 19:56   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the info MEX351, that cleared up what i was thinking, some one said it is better to over power than under power and others said you can blow the subs easy with not enough power, thanks
Old 10-02-2005, 01:35   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_futura_L
Thanks for the info MEX351, that cleared up what i was thinking, some one said it is better to over power than under power and others said you can blow the subs easy with not enough power, thanks

No worries,but I have made a few little systems that have worked well enough with only about 150wrms.Like a small setup for my sister in law that used a little rockord amp 1 soundstream 10"sub in a 19 litre sealed box with a pair of kenwood 6"s in the doors and jbl home audio tweeters in the dash.
That set up was so clear with a great kick for what it was really.Maybe would have got 120 to 125db only because it was in a little Laser but she was into techno music and keep messing around with the bass levels and I would have to retune it once a month.
MEX351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security