Ford Forums banner

Subs and power

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  MEX351 
#1 ·
If i have a 400 wrms sub does that mean i have to put that much power into it or could i put 150-200 wrms in it, would it wreak that sub or what,

Thanks to anyone that can help

#3 ·
You can underpower a sub and blow it.Thats why you run as big a amp as you can get (mine is a DLS mono with over 1000 wrms) and it ran two Alpine DDDrive subs (only rated at 200 wrms) for two years without any dramas.And before that they were run off a Alpine 1505 with about 900 wrms for about 4 years.

The more power you have the less you have to push your gear to get sound quality and volume or db if thats what you are after.A over worked small amp will clip earlier and send a dirty signal that can kill a sub just as easy as over powering it.I have not killed a sub yet, with this much power on tap you find yourself turning the bass and subs down a bit to hear the front end,thats partly because it now runs two 15's and they are only a few inches from me behind the seats in the cab of my ute.

#6 ·
E_futura_L said:
Thanks for the info MEX351, that cleared up what i was thinking, some one said it is better to over power than under power and others said you can blow the subs easy with not enough power, thanks

No worries,but I have made a few little systems that have worked well enough with only about 150wrms.Like a small setup for my sister in law that used a little rockord amp 1 soundstream 10"sub in a 19 litre sealed box with a pair of kenwood 6"s in the doors and jbl home audio tweeters in the dash.
That set up was so clear with a great kick for what it was really.Maybe would have got 120 to 125db only because it was in a little Laser but she was into techno music and keep messing around with the bass levels and I would have to retune it once a month.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.