Ford Forums banner

The Ultimate Subwoofer Test (Rated R)

6K views 21 replies 20 participants last post by  The Goodz 
#1 ·
As I mentioned in the thread 'Gr8 Bass', Rmyers and myself decided to test a subwoofer's durability in a way never envisaged before. Now while most of you probably won't ever need a subwoofer to endure such torture, it is interesting to know how it would stand up. So I present to you, the ultimate subwoofer test.

The subwoofer chosen for this test is a Jaycar 50WRMS 12" sub.
NOTE: The subwoofer did come out of the shop with a pink cone, Rmyers painted it before hand for one of the tests.

Stage 1 - The Kick Test

In this stage, we test how well the subwoofer holds up to being kicked and dropped on the ground. The results were pleasing, as the sub had not sustained any visible damage.

Verdict: PASS

Stage 2 - Fashionability Test

In this stage, we test how good the sub looks as an item of clothing. As a sub is not specifically designed for this purpose, the only clothing we could mimic was a hat. As you can see, it doesn't do too good a job of protecting Rmyers' head from the sun, and due to the design of the cone and the frame, it would collect a fair bit of water and increase the already hefty weight.

Verdict: FAIL

Stage 3 - Downright strength test

In this stage, we test how strong the subs construction is. We do this by reversing a 1500+kg EA Falcon over it. As you can see, the sub is not that strong. The sub's frame was bent and distorted, so should you drop the sub while carry it in the middle of the road, it won't hold up too well if a car ran over it.

Hmm, maybe if it was an extra 50WRMS more...

Stage 4 - Paint holding ability

In this stage, we test the speakers paint holding ability. Should you want to paint your sub in a funky pink as Rmyers' has done here, or a sexy beige or vomit green colour, then you would want to make sure that the paint will stick. After reversing over the sub with the Falcon, we checked the tyre to see if the paint had rubbed off. The picture speaks for itself. Just shocking.

Stage 5 - Stanley knife test

In this stage, we test the durability of the cone to intentional damage, a la being cut up with a stanley knife. The knife had absolutely no trouble cutting off the dust cap, and sticking the blade through the cone required very little effort. Not good for all you knife happy people out there who go on 'cutting rampages'.

Stage 6 - Flamability test

In this stage we test the subwoofer's fire retardance. In this case the sub was as flamable as an alcoholic's breath. If your car caught on fire, forget about salvaging this sub. It burned so violently we had to have several bottles of water nearby to extinguish the thing.

Stage 7 - Heavy impact test

In this stage we check the woofer's ability to withstand the damage from a falling object of decent weight, in this case, a normal building brick. It was dropped from a height of about 2 meters, which is about the average height of falling bricks. We must say we were quite impressed with the result. No percievable damage was done from the falling brick.

Verdict: PASS

Conclusion:

Here is a close up of the sub after the test. We have come to the conclusion that this sub is not durable enough and sustained some serious damage from this simple test. So we say to all you prospective buyers, don't buy Jaycar subs. They just can't stand up to normal everyday use.

Results: 2 out of 7 - Absolutely shocking

To the bin with you!

Alex

See less See more
#4 ·
An all round good objective test.

Now please test a Ford Smartlock keypad in the same ways.

#10 ·
hahaha

*has visions of Acid subwoofer shopping.....tells the salesman "im just going to take it outside to my car for a bit of durability testing, wont be long".......the look and confusion as Acid lays the sub behind his back wheel and reverses over it.....*

:bigeyes:

#11 ·
Good report guys a real eye opener, I would have thought the car could run straight over it with no damage to the sub at all. They just done make them the way they used to. *shrugs sholders* Guess I will have to really think about my future purchases of subs

#18 ·
If you trim the top of that pic where you guys are pooring the water on it, then you could have claimed to be doing a urination test.:peepee:

And there could have been 2 parts,
A: How well does urine put out a subwoofer thats on fire, and
B: How well does a subwoofer hold up to urine :boom: :AAHHH: :wnc:

:HAHA:

#19 ·
Hmm, that's not a bad idea Martin, but then again how realistic would such a thing be? I mean when would you be pissing on a sub let alone hope that it'll survive? Unless it was a tornado sub or something, then I'd understand. Hey Rmyers, I think we should try out a tornado sub too.

Alex

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.