In a ute you ask... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2003, 05:16   #1 (permalink)
Krazy Kyle

In a ute you ask...

Just thought I'd give my 2 cents help to anyone out there wanting to put a bigger sound system in a ute, basing from a XF (being very little room).

After some persuasion (friends sister always crankin her sub) i thought to myself, "i wanna sub". but where to put it. so i went to see the guy down at the local autobarn and had a looooong (as in long, they closed the store around us talking long) chat about what he had seen and done. turns out that behind the driver side seat, in the lower section of the firewall there is a hollow space. A 12" sub will fit snugly into this area. behind the passenger seat is the fuel tank, and as i now run on straight gas (mounted in the front of the tray) im thinking of removing the tank and installing another 12"(scary, 2 12" subs in a small confined space).

As for 6" (i went for splits), they can be mounted in the door, as there is a space provided for this in the front bottom corner of the door, but i didnt take much liking to rattling the doors away, and have made up some custom kick pannels to fit the 6". and as for the splits i have located them approx 1/2 way up the front pillars.

Hope this helps out a bit, and if anyone has any questions i am happy to try and help.
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2003, 07:29   #2 (permalink)
Ford Member

Re: In a ute you ask..

G'day

I've got an XH ute, and I'm gonna put some 6" kenwoods in it. I currently run a JVC MP3 player with a 4x45W out put and I have a couple of questions.

1. I'll probably put the 6" in the doors. How hard is it to wire them up as there aren't any there in the first place to just simply replace?.

2. Will the 6" splits be enough? or should i hook them up as rear speakers, and replace the factory 4" with some good ones and keep them as the front ones. Please don't take any offence to this but I'm not looking for doof doof, I just want loudness, and quality.

Thanks mate.
XHute96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 20:53   #3 (permalink)
Senior Events Moderator

Re: In a ute you ask...

Welcome to the Forums XHute96. Be careful becuase in no time you will be addicted to Ford forums. Then your G/F , Wife, or kids have a hard time getting on the PC. Then you have arguments over being on FF all the time 24/7. Then oh enough i will let you find out . LOL

Enjoy your stay

Steve B
AUPS
AU1SIXA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 21:57   #4 (permalink)
walking power

Hey guys i had a XH ute but it was an s pack and came with speakers in the doors, i replaced them with 5 3/4 MB Quart splits and i mounted the amp under the passenger seat and a 6 inch SAS Bazzooka chube behind and this sounded pretty good.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-11-2003, 21:29   #5 (permalink)
Krazy Kyle

Well, i have a set of Focal 4" speakers in my dash, and with the amp tuned properly they pumped real hard (not as good as 6" but they did the job). in the door aint real hard, as for the wiring of them, i just drilled a small hole in the door and in the pillar, putting the wire in through the kick pannel with a little bit of sheeth (called spagetti in some places), that white coiled up tube stuff to protect it.
Bounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 22:29   #6 (permalink)
Ford Member

thanks bounty, Ill do that.
XHute96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 05:20   #7 (permalink)

I'm in the process of upgrading mine, but what you have described is pretty much what I've got. 10" Alpine mounted below fuel tank line behind drivers seat, filter & amp mounted behind the passenger seat (about 1 1/2 inch above floor), Pioneer 6"'s in the bottom left of the doors - these I'm replacing with 6 x 9's (if anyone's done this I'd appreciate some advice on the best means of fitting). Bass is seriously heavy duty, but if you put 6"s at floor level you're not going to get any treble (unless you mount tweeters in dash), hence 6 x 9's.

Good luck.
XF__UTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 07:21   #8 (permalink)
No longer around

im my XF ute which was dual fuel the spare tyre was in the place where you guys have fitted ya subs with the fuel tank on the other side.. anyway i was sick of having my 10" pioneer sub inside the cab between the seats (i made a box that was way too small for the dub but it did fit there) anwywayz, i went and bought a premade sealed/carpeted box from autobarn and bolted it to the lift up panel in the ute tray, with my sub inside.
the amp was inside bolted to the back wall behind the drivers seat

i also had my set of pioneer 3 way 6x9's in cunstom boxes on the floor behind each seat (ok on the floor isnt exactly the best place for speakers in a car but it was better than 2 crappy standard speakers) it worked well, but ill wanr you if you decide on doing this they get full of dust ther i was taking them out once a week to clean the dust out so htey didnt stuff up

anyway that was my system in my old ute, it worked well and sounded pretty good
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 22:25   #9 (permalink)

What year XF? Mines an 87 did ford change them during the production life? My spare tyre should go in a lock up tray below the tray & tailgate, but the blocke who had it before me installed a towball preventing it from opening. I pulled the hinges out & the door off so I could try and fit the tyre in but the rim catches on the shackle points.

Bought some spacers for the 6 x 9's, but I think they'll push them out too far and I won't be able to open the the windows. Might nee a custom panel.
XF__UTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 05:00   #10 (permalink)
No longer around

my ute was an 86, the spare tyre locker had been cut in half to allow the gas tank to go behind the diff, so the spare tyre went in under the floor behind the driver
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security