what size speakers? 98 ford contour se - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2006, 17:41   #1 (permalink)

what size speakers? 98 ford contour se

just bought this car at an auction and all the speakers except the rear passanger side door are blown, does anyone know what size speakers i need to buy to replace them? i'd check for myself but i think i would do more harm than good trying to get the door panels off. i need the sizes for the front and rear door speakers. also do they make any performance parts for this model of car?
dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2006, 20:28   #2 (permalink)

Lightbulb Re: what size speakers? 98 ford contour se

I'm not exactly sure about that particular model, but my f150, my father-in-law's f150, my wife's expedition, my mother-in-law's explorer, my brother-in-law's f150, and my sister-in-law's escape all have 5" x 8" speakers if I'm not mistaken. This seems to be the Ford mainstay, eventhough 6 x 9's have been a staple for years. The door-panels should be fairly easy to remove without much problem though...go ahead and give it a try...get a manual if you must. There are several companies that offer speakers. Go to Crutchfield.com to get an idea; also they are a good source to confirm the correct speaker size, just in case it's an odd-ball or something. Their prices are a little steep sometimes, but they're an excellent source of information, and a good place to get them if you don't want to spend a lot of time searching.
redneckf150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 20:33   #3 (permalink)

Re: what size speakers? 98 ford contour se

i think they are either 6 by 9 or 7 by 9 more likly 6 by 9,
primeGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:37   #4 (permalink)

Re: what size speakers? 98 ford contour se

Hi, don't now what speakers come with the Contour but I do know that Ford didn't always put in decent audio system in their vehicles compared to other companies, such as Honda.

That said, I agree, try Crutchfield for determining the size of the speakers, also, if from North America, try Best Buy or Circuit City and other similar audio sources online as many will have a system to determine what will fit in a particular vehicle, ie, speaker size.

My 1992 Ford Ranger supercab has the oval 5x8 or 6x9 inchers in the rear panels.

Systems with tiny amps will often do just what you had happen, playing at too loud a volume will cause the amp to clip, which will damage the speakers.

Curious, is the head unit stock or do you know? The other possibility, if not the stock head unit, then it may be pumping way too much power to the speakers, hence over driving them.

Good luck with finding this out.
92rangerstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security