WTF Powerless AMP in EF2 Ghia - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2004, 23:00   #1 (permalink)
A Gothic Romance...

WTF Powerless AMP in EF2 Ghia

I have an EF2 Ghia with the Premium Sound setup. The other day my sub blew and i thought i should buy a new amp and sub. I went with an MTX 2 way amp with a 12 inch MTX sub. I realised my headunit didnt have RCA's but the existing amp had cable that i could run the RCAs from to the new amp. I ran power wire to the batt for the new amp and another earth cable and crossed the remote wire from the old amp to the new. then when i started the car the new amp didnt get any power but the old one was still running. i tried the MTX amp on my mates car and its not faulty and works fine so i got his amp and tried to run power through it in my car and that didnt work either. i then tried using the power cables from the old amp on the new amp and still no power. Anyone know why this would happen and what i could do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2004, 01:16   #2 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Re: WTF Powerless AMP in EF2 Ghia

Grab your multimeter and start measuring :)
I'd check the power at the extended end of the power cables, but more importantly the remote power cabling. I'd be very sus on this one. Also, double check what the remote input needs on the new amp, and what is being supplied to the original - it might not be supplying the right voltage or could even be something odd like a earth rather then positive voltage switching (I hope I'm making some sort of sense?)
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 04:42   #3 (permalink)
A Gothic Romance...

Yeh sorta... lol. A mate of mine said that the earth from the amp mighten get through the primer on the paint. So i sanded it back and it still didnt work. Gotta get my hands on a voltemeter :/ If there isnt enough voltage how would I make more?
Old 03-05-2004, 22:21   #4 (permalink)
A Gothic Romance...

Ok... I replaced the terminals on the power and ground cables. I hooked up the power terminals and hooray, the amp light goes on. I then connect the ground cable on the amp then onto the cars body ... I took a reading with the voltmeter and it said 7. I then sanded back a small section of the primer on the body, placed the earth onto it and the light went off, but i got a reading of 12.6. WTF IS GOING ON WITH THIS AMP??!?!?!?!?!
Old 03-06-2004, 05:57   #5 (permalink)
A Gothic Romance...

Ok, Its the trigger that isnt running enough voltage so i have to run the trigger from the headunit to the amp... fkn drainer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security