XC coupe stereo - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2004, 04:01   #1 (permalink)

XC coupe stereo

hey guys,

what do yous think of the type R splits?? i can get hold of a pair fairly cheap from a mate whos selling his car and doesnt need them.... the other problem i have is finding a good pair of speakers/splits to go into the front of my XC coupe.... i havent started the stereo work yet, as the car is new to me, however i was gonna get the type R's and put the in the rear because been told way too fat to fit anywhere in the front... any reason why not to put these in the rear?? also got any suggestions for the front speakers?? im going for a fairly good setup, yet not way overpriced... i already have a 15: sub and amp from my last car... oh and i am also trying to 'avoid' cutting holes in the doors... im definately limiting options for good front sound, but any suggestions are appreciated, oh and it needs to sound good with hard rock/metal

-matt-
mattXCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2004, 20:19   #2 (permalink)

Re: XC coupe stereo

if you want a good metal rock sound
scrap the 15' and it doesn't have the punch that two 10's will.

i have been looking at ecplisse 4" they soudn rad
streaksinthesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 01:42   #3 (permalink)
Will never go back to a 6

Matt, If the Type Rs are the 6 inch versions, for Christ's sake throw them in the front!!

MDF or fibreglass spacers are the way to go if you're not wanting to carve up the door trims. I've got a pair on my parcel shelf holding up Type-S 6x9s (set of R's going in shortly) and the spacers add a bit of resonation if you like your bass rumbling.

The only exception to having a good sound fron any R speaker is when they're not amped up. Straight off the deck they'll sound shit. If you're not in the market for another amp shoot for the Type-S range as they'll sound better.

If you decide to chuck the splits I have an interested party...
BENSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 01:35   #4 (permalink)

sorry guys, i forgot i posted this until now... but yeh, they are the 6" ones that i got nice and cheap..... but ill still be strugling to get them anywhere in the front without hacking at trims.... i dont mind going at the kick pannels... but im even limited there on the drivers side as the 'go' pedal is so dam close to it.... and i was unsure of the sound quality way down there..... i had been shown some 4" i believe 'eclipse' for the front and they cranked was still unsure if they were the go though.... so use to everyone sugggesting big splits for the front..... i plan on buying another 1/2 amps to power the type R's and what ever goes in the front.... nothing off the deck i dont think
Old 07-03-2004, 07:45   #5 (permalink)
ST170ish

Why are you so scared to cut the door trims, are they customised/original GT or something?
70's X falcons have huge kick panel area's, you may need to mount the speakers up high on the kick panel area so you have clearance for the accelorator(go!) pedal.
It may be your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
ST170ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 04:37   #6 (permalink)

Good point ST170, but if the kick panel is sandwiched between the woofer and the speaker grill there isn't that much of a protrusion. looked @ a XC sedan today (I'm confident the dash/kick panel areas are the same as a coupe) and there wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Where do you plan to put the Tweeter and X-over box?
Old 07-05-2004, 05:45   #7 (permalink)

i plan for the tweeter to go up on the dash like others, unless recomended otherwise... and the box to go anywhere it will comfortably fit..... the only reson im avoiding cutting holes in the door trims, is because if i ever need to remove them, finding a replacement trim in this condition will be near impossible..... but i havent completly ruled out the option, i am just avoiding it
Old 07-13-2004, 02:41   #8 (permalink)

Apart from that and the kick panels, I'm out of ideas of where to stick them...
Is there any space for you to be able to mount the woofer underneath the rear quarter windows? This way they'd technically be your staging speakers still, and then you can still put six by nines up on the shelf for the fill effect. Plus the bass is coming from a shorter distance than what it would being in the other two positions. Out of curiosity, what head unit will you be using?
Old 07-13-2004, 05:48   #9 (permalink)

havent decided on a head unit yet... it will be a matter of shopping around until i find a good one at a decent price... was thinking probably between $400 - $700
Old 07-13-2004, 08:29   #10 (permalink)
ST170ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattXCoupe
the only reson im avoiding cutting holes in the door trims, is because if i ever need to remove them, finding a replacement trim in this condition will be near impossible.....
If you install the midbass speakers in the doors, and then if you sell the Xcoupe just put some cheapys in and keep your speakers for your next car!
It may be your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
ST170ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security