15000km/12 month service - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2005, 06:27   #1 (permalink)

15000km/12 month service

G'day

My XR6 NA is just about a year old now and has it get its 12 month service. Only done just over 5000 kms (yes true dont get to drive it much!!!).

What is done in the 15000km/12 service?
What price are people approximately paying for it? $150'ish
What oil do u use, I want to use BP oil, anyone use Visco 5000? Service guide says to use 10w-30. How about 15w-40?

Also anyone got any good service departments in Melbourne (western suburbs)? Bought car from Wespoint Ford, not sure if gunna take it back to them though.

Any thought, recommendations, things to look out for ect would be apprecaited.

Cheers
navy blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2005, 05:01   #2 (permalink)

Re: 15000km/12 month service

Also anyome tried the "other guys" ie UltraTune, Midas etc etc. ANyone had any good reports/dealing with them?
Old 06-03-2005, 05:59   #3 (permalink)
In-line 6, DOHC, 24V

Cost about $130.00, it's just an oil & filter change, safety check & PCM check.

Don't use a high viscosity oil, especially since you don't do very many kilometers.

I have found a great improvement using a full synthetic 5W30, my next oil change will be a 0W20 or 0W40. I have had oil analysis with the oil changes & the 5W30 oil show huge reductions in wear rates.

All decent size workshops with qualified mechanics can do your servicing, stamp the book & the vehicle manufacturers waranty is still valid.

Check these out;
what lubricant gets ur motor goin
http://www.fordforums.com/showthread...31#post1100931
Oil change
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 06:27   #4 (permalink)

Thanks

Ended up getting a brand new BP Oil GF4 10w-30. Think this should be OK, what do u think, it follows the recommendation and conforms to Ford standards.

Since I do very low kms what viscoity range would be the best, as i really sont understand oils that much!!!

Cheers
Old 06-03-2005, 07:30   #5 (permalink)
In-line 6, DOHC, 24V

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy blue
Thanks

Ended up getting a brand new BP Oil GF4 10w-30. Think this should be OK, what do u think, it follows the recommendation and conforms to Ford standards.

Since I do very low kms what viscoity range would be the best, as i really sont understand oils that much!!!

Cheers
The GF4 is a new rating and can only be used with high quality oils, you wont have any problems with what you've picked.

Thinner oil (low viscosity) is the preffered oil for two main reasons;
1) On start up, the oil pump has to start an oil flow to the top of the engine (cam shafts, valves, etc.), by pushing up hill, so to speak. Low viscosity oil is easier to pull from the sump & push up, so all the engines criticle moving parts get lubed fast.
2) Fuel economy; low viscosity oil is easier to pump so there is less drag on moving parts, drag (The phenomenon of resistance to motion through a fluid) robs power, power is produced by fuel . Less drag allows for more of the engines energy to be directed to moving the vehicle, instead of pumping thick oil to the top of the engine.

It has been proven tha most engine wear is caused on start up;
1) studies have shown that it can take some oils over a minute to get to the valve gear,
2) the oil filter can be bypassed, on a cold morning a thick oil will meet high resistance to flow through a filter, so the bypass valve is activated & unfiltered oil is used to lubricate.

Oil will become thicker as it gets older, some oils thicken more than others. If you plan on keeping your car for a long time, change the oil more frequently or use a full synthetic & follow fords recommendation of 15,000/12.
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech