1961 XK with retrofitted 4.0L - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2007, 16:04   #1 (permalink)

biggrin 1961 XK with retrofitted 4.0L

Gday all,

Im not sure where this thread should reside but i am in need of some major help...

I currently have a 1961 xk falcon fitted with an mildly worked old 250 X-flow and c4 it was pretty ballsy until it got a heat problem and has been in the shed for around a year.

I want to put an EF / EL / AU(?) XR6 motor in but i need some modifications to the engine mounts and struts. as a community im hoping you guys can help me as ive exhausted looking / emailing australia wide and even had people laugh in my face because i simply didnt want to whack a 302W in there!

Where can i find these mounts / strut braces? or any information on 4.0L in early falcons (the XK has the same size and layout as a XP engine bay)

Can i still use the C4 or will i need to get another? (trans' arent my specialty)

My sincere thanks (and my womans, because we arent buying a house until i get the car fixed!)

Regards,

Henry.
retroxk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2007, 23:59   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1961 XK with retrofitted 4.0L

What mounts are in there at the moment?

The engine mounts for the 250's are the same as 4.0's except the bolt pattern on the block is a few mm out. If you are using standard mounts for an 250 (XF style), just use the 4.0 mounts.

C4 will require a custom bellhousing. I got quotes between $450 and $600. Your other option is an XF/EA 3 speed borgy with a EA 3 speed bellhousing.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:43   #3 (permalink)

piss the auto off and get a T5 for it
run it as a manual pedal box might be a little hard to find but im sure they are arround and everything else is easy as!
alot easyier than trying to stuff arround with auto crap!
notty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:03   #4 (permalink)

i would of thought castlemain rod shop had a kit for such a conversion and im pretty sure they have a conversion kit to fit a c4 behind the 4.0, be strange if they didnt considering they have a kit to fit a th700 4 speed auto to a 250 xflow! If that tickles your fancy its kit AP87

Why not just get the xflow freshened up and maybe put a turbo on it? just a thought, maybe im biased too hehe
MRJLB84D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:06   #5 (permalink)

i think im biased too cause i would never buy any product from castlemaine rod shop even if it was gonna cost me double the price to do so as i have constantly found there quality to be as good as a m20 gearbox
Old 01-23-2007, 04:27   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroxk
Gday all,

Im not sure where this thread should reside but i am in need of some major help...

I currently have a 1961 xk falcon fitted with an mildly worked old 250 X-flow and c4 it was pretty ballsy until it got a heat problem and has been in the shed for around a year.

I want to put an EF / EL / AU(?) XR6 motor in but i need some modifications to the engine mounts and struts. as a community im hoping you guys can help me as ive exhausted looking / emailing australia wide and even had people laugh in my face because i simply didnt want to whack a 302W in there!

Where can i find these mounts / strut braces? or any information on 4.0L in early falcons (the XK has the same size and layout as a XP engine bay)

Can i still use the C4 or will i need to get another? (trans' arent my specialty)

My sincere thanks (and my womans, because we arent buying a house until i get the car fixed!)

Regards,

Henry.
SO does it have disk brakes ?
if not install an L300 axle and brakes , its about 10 mm to wide but thats easy fixed , if you use the overhead cam motor you should install with lpg for emmisions and an aod auto if you can find one or a c4 with the correct bellhousing ( not the aode ok ?) use the x series dizzy and your set , or adapt a manifold and a 350 Holley for petrol wich prolly wont make emmisions , you should consider adding a centura diff for better brakes and durability , this sure would move when finsihed and good luck I suspect you might need to add some metal to the chassis or a roll cage to stop it twising :)
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:32   #7 (permalink)

I may be about to do exactly the same thing, I tripped over a low miles, one owner XK the other day. I'm trying to talk the guy out of it. He told me that the front ends are not exactly the same as XP's. They toughened them up a bit after the XK's because the Aussie roads were harder on the USA based front suspension. I planned to find an EA 3.9 litre 5 speed with MPFI. Better economy, less headaches putting it all in (computer wise) and really cheap to buy a donor vehicle. If he lets me have his baby, I'll keep in touch. Good luck, I'll be watching!!
dirt_ute_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 01:01   #8 (permalink)

should bolt straght in where the xflow is now but you may have height issues
your suffering
remember this young grasshopper
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 13:25   #9 (permalink)

Hello,

The point about the front end is worth taking note of. They used to break ball joints, and the car got off to a bad start. If your going to make it go hard, be sure it is up to it.

Weazle
Weazle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:15   #10 (permalink)

alot of falcons brake ball joints!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech