1965 Inline 6 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2004, 20:05   #1 (permalink)
65 Fastback

1965 Inline 6

Hello,
I need a comprehensive step by step on how to flush my motor and change my coolant. It sounds easy to many I'm sure, but I need to be sure. I want to drive into Dearborn next Thursday evening (4 hours due east of me) and want to make I get there without overheating. I bought 2 gallons of distilled water, new reproduction upper and lower radiator hoses, cap, heater hoses, thermostat and gasket. I still need to get coolant and a flush kit - (if so reccomended). I'll also need to know the proper amount /ratio of coolant to water mixture as well.
65 Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2004, 20:52   #2 (permalink)
Love having 3 peddles

Re: 1965 Inline 6

Welcome to the forums.
First change all your hoses and thermostat.
Your coolant should have the ratio on the bottle. It is normally about 2 past water to 1 part coolant.
To Flush it out. Take off the radiator cap and top radiator hoses from the thermostat housing and just push it aside. Place you garden hoses in the top of the radiator and start the car making sure the heater is on. Once the car warms up and the thermostat opens water will start coming out. Once this happens, turn on the garden hose and keep the radiator topped up. Let it run for about 5 min to make sure all the old coolant is flushed out.
When the water coming out the thermostat housing is clean turn off the hose and start pouring in the mix until you just see the coolant coming out the housing. Quickly push back on the top hose and tighten the clamp while someone else turns off the car (works best with 2 people doing this whole thing one watching the water color and one pouring) top up the radiator run for another 5 min once back together to get rid of any air pocket. Place radiator cap back on and you are done.
Old 08-11-2004, 19:15   #3 (permalink)
65 Fastback

Thanks for your response.
Ok, now I want to replace my hoses as well.
How should I go about that. Should I wait until after the motor flush is complete, then make the swap? I will be putting on new, reproduction hoses and clamps.

Joe
65 Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 20:01   #4 (permalink)
Love having 3 peddles

Do all the hose swaps first. Cos when you pull off the hoses you will only loose all your new coolant if you do them after the flush.
Old 08-12-2004, 20:45   #5 (permalink)

If you suspect a blocked radiator (you're having over heating probs?), then you might need to use a chemical cleaner. Available Kmart, Repco, etc. Just read the directions on the pack - do it before you replace the coolant though......
Softride Powerwing
roofi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech