221ci 2v turbo question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2007, 20:13   #1 (permalink)

221ci 2v turbo question

I got a 221ci 2v which im thinking of turbo charging. Do these engines work well with a turbo or should i just stick with a 250. Also do they use the same set-up as a 250. BTW this is for a xp coupe. Any advise will help. Cheers.
fairlane71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2007, 02:32   #2 (permalink)

Re: 221ci 2v turbo question

hey
there simerlar and do work well as ether 200/221/250
however due to being a 221 there isent a hell of a lot of aftermarket around as the us never got it.
and the 221 hasent been around for a long time in aus.
what are you after from it hp id go 221 torque go 250
your suffering
remember this young grasshopper
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 20:56   #3 (permalink)
Hotrod Drag & Street Car

well the 221 has been in aus since 1968 skid!!! but any way fairlane, pick up a 250 unless your die hard for the 221. both will work fine but the 250 is easier to get good bits for. turbo set up slightly diff to 250 standard head. eg center exhaust ports have lower upper gasket height on 2v head. intake manifold totally different. it will need plenty of exhaust port work but will produce lots power when set up well. cheers
cjperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:36   #4 (permalink)
Jesse

Hello Fairlane71,
your question was posted more than a year ago, so I hope you're set to receive email notifications on your post.
I have a small amount of knowledge about 2v heads. From what I can make out, they respond very well to turbo charging, especially with some head work. The 7-main bottom ends are virtually bullet proof, so turn it up to the max (after a suitable rebuild of course).
If you wish to retain matching numbers, stick with the 221 of course, but if that's not an issue, I suggest you find a 250 motor and slap the 2v on it. There is an issue with the gaping hole that is 3 & 4 exhaust port, but there are port dividers available in the states, not sure about here in Oz.
If you're really serious about performance, there is an aluminium 2v head available, based on the Aussie 2v. It was designed and developed in the U.S.A. (Have a look here and take the time to read up on the development Classic Inlines Performance Parts - Home), but is cast in Melbourne by C.H.I. Call John (03)9583-5725.
All the bolt-on stuff (rocker covers, rockers, inlet and exhaust etc.) is completely interchangeable with a stock 2v, and 3 & 4 have separate exhaust ports.
They're claiming a potential 500 hp with forced induction, i.e. turbo and/or supercharging.
NO, I don't work for them, I'm just hooked on the 250 motor, the forgotten powerhouse.
Bear in mind the yanks built thousands of mustangs with sixes, none of which we ever saw here, hence their interest in extracting horsepower from this mighty motor.
And please, stick with your 6, you won't be disappointed in the long run. If anyone tries to tell you to drop a v8 in the old girl, smile and say nothing, they just don't get it.
JesseB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech