250 Crossflow hot startup. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2003, 18:05   #1 (permalink)

250 Crossflow hot startup.

Ok guys heres the question,

My old man and I both have 250's (1 efi in xf & 1carb in xe). After a long drive such as anything over about 50km they both struggle to start again while they are still hot. When i say struggle i mean the starter sounds like it hasnt got enough power to turn the motor over fast as usual. Its more of a slow strained sound. I'm guessing this is a pretty common basic thing but i'd just like to know what it is?
I'm guessing its because when the motor is hot the oil is thin and all runs down to the sump leaving the pistons hot against the cylinder walls which makes alot of friction when the starter tries to move them? Because the problem doesnt happen when the car cools down which might mean the metal all shrinks back that tiny bit to normal which makes the clearances greater allowing everyhitng to move nice and easy?

Thanks guys

Aaron
xespack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2003, 19:59   #2 (permalink)

my mates xd does the same thing.

i can't remember fully what he told me, but it was something to do with electrical resistance caused by the heat, doesn't send enough power to the starter motor, i think.

If no one else knows the cure, i'll get the info off him properly.
Old 02-01-2003, 20:08   #3 (permalink)

The original battery cables ,if that's what you still have, are very thin.That combined with the increased resistance in the hot starter is possibly causing the prob.
The best fix for a start would be to upgrade the battery cable from the starter to the battery,the earth cable from battery to head+ another cable from the engine block to the chassis..A freshen up of the starter with a relay on the start wire and all should be good..
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 20:22   #4 (permalink)

thanks guys
xespack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 07:09   #5 (permalink)

Try the late model XF starter.. suffered less from heat, and with the geared starter, was also faster at spinning the motor. I did that to my XF and all hot starting sluggishness stopped. Puts less strain on the battery too.

RIP my ol' esky.. many years of good service
eskyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech