250 crossflow setup - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2005, 00:44   #1 (permalink)

250 crossflow setup

Hey, I got a XC sedan with a 250 crossflow with cast heads and extractors, with the stromberg carby, what'd be the best way to increase torque and horsepower on a budjet (Couple of hundred bucks)?

I was thinking a better carby/aircleaner setup, can anyone suggest a good setup?
Also I was thinking of shaving the heads a bit to increase CR, whats the max CR you can run while still being safe?
A Cam would probably be a good idea too...

Thanks.
Ford XC, yay. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2005, 04:45   #2 (permalink)

Re: 250 crossflow setup

The extractors are a start, look at getting a carby and cam, is it auto or manual?
I would recommend a 350 2bbl holley for econ or 465 holley and a mild cam for performance.
AU Series 1 I6 Futura, 17" XR Series III Rims, Kings superlow springs and Bilstien shocks, K-MAC adjustable caber kit, xr8 snorkle, BMC Filter, EF a/box lid, custom storm water pipeing, pacemakers, h/flow cat, 2 1/2" zorst mandrel bent, dyno'd @ 117.2kwrw b4 bmc
ir33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 05:22   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, borg warner auto, with 9 inch 2.92 lsd diff, I'm changing the borg warner to an FMX soon hopefully.

Thinking about putting 200 conrods in with the special ACL pistons, not sure if it's worth it though.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:27   #4 (permalink)
heard it before!

my choice would be to put an alloy head on it, i did it once and thing flew not sure why, maybe compression ratio ended up higher, pre pollution XC cam better than XE.
head came off 82 XE with 2barrel webber carb(std) not sure if i did it propperly as i removed it after a couple of months and fitted a V8. people say the water jackets etc are not in the same spot, could be the case but it still worked ok. beware if thinking about this as there are many different head chambers and piston dishes so you could end up with 14-1 comp or 7-1 if you did a wrong match up i dont know any further so ask a HEAD MOB
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 05:31   #5 (permalink)
heard it before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford XC, yay.
Yeah, borg warner auto, with 9 inch 2.92 lsd diff, I'm changing the borg warner to an FMX soon hopefully.

Thinking about putting 200 conrods in with the special ACL pistons, not sure if it's worth it though.

you must have BW diff too if its 2.92 but they are good if LSD you mean a C4 trans as FMX does not fit crossflow
if you go a biiger cam and rods from 200 motor etc you may require diff ratio of say 3.23 or 3.5 and maybe even a high stall converter.
be carefull in you're planning as its often cheaper to plonk in a V8
Old 01-17-2005, 16:50   #6 (permalink)

Yeah, C4, I had a friend with a converter to fit an FMX but I don't think I'll bother.

I hear an EFI head and cam off something like an XF will produce more power, will the manifolds fit though? Or would an XE manifold and webber carb put on it work better...
I've got a cast head and stromberg carby at the moment.
So the setup I'm thinking of at the moment is 250 crossflow with XF efi head and cam, extractors and a 2.5/2.25 exhaust system, XE manifold and double barrel webers, thermo fans to replace existing fan, 9" 2.92 las Borg warner diff, C4 auto and an electric fuel pump 'cuz efi cam's aren't supposed to be able to run mechanical ones, and possibly a balancer.

How's that sound?
Old 01-17-2005, 18:33   #7 (permalink)
heard it before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford XC, yay.

I hear an EFI head and cam off something like an XF will produce more power, will the manifolds fit though? Or would an XE manifold and webber carb put on it work better...
I've got a cast head and stromberg carby at the moment.
So the setup I'm thinking of at the moment is 250 crossflow with XF efi head and cam, extractors and a 2.5/2.25 exhaust system, XE manifold and double barrel webers, thermo fans to replace existing fan, 9" 2.92 las Borg warner diff, C4 auto and an electric fuel pump 'cuz efi cam's aren't supposed to be able to run mechanical ones, and possibly a balancer.

How's that sound?
borg warner diff is not a 9" firstly, don't go over 2.25 exhaust with standard cam, i prefer 2" with standard cams and using 2.92 diff. if you're XC motor is tired then you could buy a rebuilt XE motor and drop it in no mucking around EFI cam is probably not Heaps better anyway, the iron head and alloy heads have different bolt patterns so forget about just swapping manifolds
i have an EFI cam from CROW new here with lifters and dizzy gear(not sure if i will use it yet as i'm lazy to change it) it DOES have the lobe for fuel pump but i don't know if original ford ones do? i bought the cam for an XF carby engine. if you put in AN XE ENGINE COMPLETE you will also have a clutch fan which i reckon are okay, some extractors have duel bolt pattern so if youre lucky the ones you have will fit the alloy head if not you won't be able to use them
Old 01-17-2005, 19:59   #8 (permalink)

i got a cast head 250 crossflow too, so did any XE's come out with cast heads? so you can swap the manifolds?
because I'm not sure how good the old single barrel strombergs are, and i hear double barrel webers are great
johnxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 22:40   #9 (permalink)
heard it before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnxc
i got a cast head 250 crossflow too, so did any XE's come out with cast heads? so you can swap the manifolds?
because I'm not sure how good the old single barrel strombergs are, and i hear double barrel webers are great
NO! the early XD falcons had XC motors and later XDs had an alloy head with a single barrel carb still . the alloy head 2 barrel webber manifold will fit on an alloy head single barel motor though, cast iron heads have a water port that goes in the manifold for starters i doubt thats th only prob.
its not really worth the expense but you could buy a CAIN manifold and get an adapter to fit webber on probably, probably cost more than a good XE motor though(i bought a rebuilt 40,000km motor for $100 guy was putting in a V8)
Old 01-18-2005, 03:01   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I think the best bet is to just get a converter to fit a holley and run a 350.

I think I might checkout the XE alloy head with the webers and see if the waterjackets fit, my extractos have extra mounts on it which I hope fit the alloy head.

Anyone know a good compression ratio to run? For unleaded + additive if I keep the cast head, and for straight unleaded with the alloy head.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech