Ford Forums banner

250 pre x-flow choking on petrol only when in gear?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  81foXDwagon 
#1 ·
The 250 seems to run finer than a pure-bred racing horse when its in neutral, but chuck it in gear and its fine up until it gets to around 2000-4000rpm...
Kinda like its choking, or maybe not getting enough gas to mix with the O2, happens either accelerating hard, or when trying to hold it between 2000-5000rpm steady.

Xa falcon, was a 200ci, but eng swapped to the 250, changed over the clutch from the 200 because it was almost new, and kept the gearbox and bellhouse from the 200.

The only thing I can really think of at the moment, is maybe the gearbox input shaft is a little bent... :whoaa:

I've got the engine out at the moment, and need to get the old heap running as stout as possible as quick as possible, its my work car (I'll drive nothing else, unless its muscle or hotrod), and the missus isnt likeing getting up at 6:30 to drive me to work in her car...

But, if the gearbox input shaft is a little bent, and the box is in neutral, and the clutch engaged, then wouldnt it have the same effect as being in gear?

I'm stumped, my knowledge dosnt go this far...

See less See more
#2 ·
I would be looking at the carburettor.

Im assuming it misses only when your driving along....

Sounds as if the secondary jets arent working or the accelerator pump is stuffed, and when you acc in gear she's leaning out. My XD which has LPG does the same, because the carby mixture jet was modified for the LPG.

When the engine has no load, it doesnt need all that fuel, hence if you rev it in neutral it will be fine.

Those carby's are getting old now, and if its never been kitted I would recommend it anyway, because it will fail. The carby overhaul kits are worth about $50 from any auto parts joint. Not too bad to install, just make sure everything has been washed and blown out with compressed air.

Hope this helps a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.