Ford Forums banner

250 Xflow heads.

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  61sg 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if there are aftermarket heads for the 250 Xflow that is in my XF. I think my head is ****ed out cos when i replaced the rocker cover gasket 2 bolts were stripped and wouldnt go back in tightly. I undid them with my fingers???
If i can find an aftermarket head place i can get them to install my new cam when i get it off Hoon and do the head at the same time.
Should i just get a regular head?
How much would either cost me?
Where can i get a regular head from?
Should i just get my head fixed? Can it be fixed?
How much would it cost me?

Thanks guys.
Dan
sorry for all the questions.

#2 ·
Should go round to some wreckers and find out if they have any heads of wrecks. Ask them if you can take it and get it crack tested before you pay for it or if they'll refund if its cracked. It is an alloy head in the xf isn't it? I have been looking round wreckers and picked up a 3.9 head for an ea for $100. but it was tested and found to be cracked so i got my money back.
Thats one way out. A changeover head would have cost me about $500-600 so the wrecked one was the better way out for my....

#4 ·
plarsson, is that for the xf?

G
#5 ·
Yep, I have it as a spare for my project XF panel Van. But its now surplus to my requirements as I've just acquired a XF series Fairlane with Fuel injection and all the fun fairlane bits.

I'll be building myself a "Ranchero" Panel Van over Xmas.

This Head came off a good running motor an still has the inlet manifold and carby attatched as well as the rockers. Its complete any ways

#7 ·
Thanks Plarsson for the offer but im in melbourne : (
Thanks for the advice guys. I might go check out a wrecker for one.

Do you guys know if there are places that do aftermarket heads? I wouldnt mind upping the power of the old beast.

Thanks
Dan

#12 ·
Thanks guys but-
What are 'Helicoils' ?
Where can i get them? Can i do them myself? How do they work?

I found this on the Yella Terra website
"CYLINDER HEADS - The variety of head types available for Ford 6 cylinder pre cross flow and cross flow engines makes it more practical to modify your own cylinder head to ensure exact model match."

Does this mean that i should modify my own head??

ALSO out on a tangent but i thought i'd ask anyway.
When changing a cam you are supposed to replace the lifters. Are all lifters the same or do they come in different sizes, types etc?
When putting a cam in does it have to go in with a certain part facing anything or does it all come into place when the engine is started? Is it important to know the duration of each lobe or does it have nothing to do with installation other than knowing how much wear the camshaft has?
Sorry but i read through the haynes manual and it left me with a few blanks. (Should i start another thread for this?)

Thanks again.

G
#13 ·
When installing a new cam then you should install new lifters as well. If its a second hand cam then you can get away with used lifters as long as they're in good condition. Though most people fit new lifters. Usually when you buy a cam there are manufacturers recommendations as to what type and brand, part number etc of lifters to use.

There are fundementally three types of lifters, solids, hydraulic and anti pumpups.

For most applications normal hydraulic lifters are the go. Solids are for real hardcore applications and the anti pumpups are for some heavy duty applications. It all depends on the cam your using.

When installing the cam, there is a set proceedure and it is vital that it is followed. Some aftermarket cams require adjustable timing gears to "dial" them in. If you aren't really sure how to do this then pay the man who does to do it. It will save you much grief and $$$'s in the long run.

Helicoils are screw in threads. You drill out the damaged thread, tap a new oversize thread, then screw the helicoil into the ovesize thread, you now should have the ability to put your normal bolt back in.

Helicoils can be got at most engineers suppliers like Blackwoods, or you can try Repco.

Sounds like you have mucho fun ahead of you...

#14 ·
DansEdgli said:
Thanks guys but-
What are 'Helicoils' ?
Where can i get them? Can i do them myself? How do they work?

I found this on the Yella Terra website
"CYLINDER HEADS - The variety of head types available for Ford 6 cylinder pre cross flow and cross flow engines makes it more practical to modify your own cylinder head to ensure exact model match."

Does this mean that i should modify my own head??

ALSO out on a tangent but i thought i'd ask anyway.
When changing a cam you are supposed to replace the lifters. Are all lifters the same or do they come in different sizes, types etc?
When putting a cam in does it have to go in with a certain part facing anything or does it all come into place when the engine is started? Is it important to know the duration of each lobe or does it have nothing to do with installation other than knowing how much wear the camshaft has?
Sorry but i read through the haynes manual and it left me with a few blanks. (Should i start another thread for this?)

Thanks again.
Helicoils are basically new threads, the old thread is drilled out and the helicoil is placed in the hole, they sort of look like a spring. Try a decent autoparts store, or just get a mechanic to do it, it won't cost much.

If I were replacing a cam, i'd be replacing the lifters and the timing chain/gears if the engine is oldish.

The cam itself will be keyed, the timing gears will have alignment marks on them.
Basically you coat the new cam in the breakin grease thats is usually supplied, carefully slide it into the donk, place the 2 timing gear inside the chain, aligning the timing marks, then rotate the cam and crank until the keys align with the keyways on the timing gear and slide both cogs on.

The only thing that can go wrong is the dizzy may be 180 degrees out. Trick is to align the marks on the old timing gear before you pull it all apart.

No need to worry about duration or wear for installation, its a fairly straight foward job.

Kieron

#15 ·
Cool thanks for that.
The haynes manual didn't go into that much detail. It said nothing about lining anything up unless i read it wrong.
So i should go new timing chain and gears and replace the lifters as well.
How much should that cost me?
Damn christmas presents have forced me to budget. Bastards!

Thanks Guys
Dan

BTW Yella Terra dont make ford heads anymore they sent me back an email this morning. But they can accomodate me with a set of roller rockers if i give them the details of my cam to be put in.

#16 ·
yes replace the timing gears and chain you get them as a set. you will find your old ones probally have a lot of slop which defies the point of having a new cam as the timing will be out.
old lifters can destroy your new cam so replace them also unless the cam is 2nd hand probally best to do them anyway.

also the first lifter may not be able to be removed with out taking the head off so take the rest out then hold that lifter up with the lifter pulling tool till you slide the cam out then remove it from the bottom and do the same till the new cam is in place to hold the lifter up. dont drop it in the sump!!

the sprockets can only go in one place on the crank/cam just make sure once they are on their marks then align.

also you will probally need a harmonic balencer pulling tool you can make or hire one.

replace the front crank seal aswell.

is the motor in the car?? if so you will need to remove the frount bumper too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.