4.0 litre prob - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2006, 17:56   #1 (permalink)

confused 4.0 litre prob

Howdy all hope someone can help . I have a EA Spack with ED 4.0 in it replaced it about 10 months ago and all is good, But today after starting it and moving it to take my Charger out when i got home to move it back into driveway its down cylinders?? Runs like a sick V8 out the exhaust. real lummpy. I have disconected the battery for about 1 hour checked if leads are all on, which are top gun 8 mill so they are only 10 months old so they should be good, and also engine is only 100.000 ks engine. Its got me stumped .. ECU????, Map censore seems fine. o2 sensore seems fine..Anyone... On a other point 4 speed gearbox. While driving in top gear the speedo drops out and gearbox wont change gears, Stop the car and pull away, and its stuck in top. Stop car and turn it off and its fixed. until next time. I have serviced box with new fillter and fluid and still happens, any link to my engine prob? again maybe ECU?? Please help, Thanks. Dean
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2006, 00:17   #2 (permalink)

Re: 4.0 litre prob

sounds like your gearbox is going into limp mode mine was doing that every now and then too and found out it was a wiring loom problem where one of the wires out of the ecu had broken!
it also sounds like your engine has gone into limp mode first thing to check is the wacum line that goes to the map sensor well known problem!
notty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 00:34   #3 (permalink)

Id do an ecu test and check the error codes 1st of all. Perhaps you got bad fuel and it has fouled your injectors, this will cause rough running as you describe.
Check your earth connections as well as a simple bad earth can cause all sorts of hell to break loose.

Mods: Pacemaker extractors, lukey cat back system. DBA Slotted rotors front & back.
Loud-EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 02:04   #4 (permalink)

Thanks to all , Good responce.. I changed ECU with freinds car and same thing still. Map sencore vac hose, yep been there before fun little exercise that was , so no that was first thing i checked. all good. Simple little prob it was, after pulling dizzy out to check cap, rotor, leads. i ran car again to have same prob there i checked plugs again and found no.6 was still wet with fuel as before, so i stuck it into no.5 and switched them around and found that now no.5 is wet with fuel, and 6 is dry.. would you believe one 6 month old NGK spark plug had just died. But no you wouldnt think it could be that easy ya.Put new plug in and she fine again.. Sometimes its still oldschool probs that get to us , but with all the electrical crap on them these day ya go looking else were.. Funny really.. Thanks to all that answered.. Cheers. The auto can wait for now had enough for one day...
Old 12-04-2006, 04:26   #5 (permalink)

yeah you always go to the hardest things first its just reaction lol!
i had a set of bosch plugs go bad after a week once!
notty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 23:28   #6 (permalink)

BLK340, you gotta hate when parts just randomly up and die. Nice catch glad to hear its all sorted.

Mods: Pacemaker extractors, lukey cat back system. DBA Slotted rotors front & back.
Loud-EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech