4.0 (T) Dimensions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2007, 07:08   #1 (permalink)

4.0 (T) Dimensions

G'day Guys,
got an interesting little project in mind....have the car.
Just doing a little research to see if my idea is feasible. If its not, i am just going to do what everyone else does...put a windsor in.

Basically i need to find some people with 4 litre engines, and some with turbos, to do some rough measuring for me.

The reason i say the non turbo is helpfull, as it easier to make the length measurment on.

The measurements I need are...

Total length. (back of Block to Very front of water pump, or any componant the extends beyond the pump)

Turbo only....
Width at widest point
Width at widest point, at rear. (this may involve a left and right measurement(right being driver side)to encompass the difference between the exhaust and inlet sides)

Also the depth (front to rear) of the radiator and fans as a unit, and the same again encompassing the air condensor.
The intercooler does not matter, as it will be a custom unit.

Happy to have these in inches, rounded up. PRECISE measurements are not a requirment. I just need to get an idea of the space i am going to need, and whether it can be practically achieved. Plan is to engineer and full reg the car, so i just can't butcher it in.

Problem is the car has a small engine bay. Width should not be an issue, as i will be DELETING the shock towers. Length currently seems to be the issue. I measured a 3.9L length at roughly 32 inches. That would JUST fit.

Any help is most appreciated

Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2007, 04:52   #2 (permalink)

Re: 4.0 (T) Dimensions

if a 3.9L fits than you will have no problems because they are basicly the same block!
the radiator and fans are really skinny i cant recall how big but they are tiny like they wont be much bigger than an old school 3 core radiator and thats the fan and radiator!
it also depends on wat engine you actually wanna put in it buy what you are saying you wanna put a Ba turbo motor in it and well your biggest concern would be the hieght my friend!!!
what car is it going into???
notty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:59   #3 (permalink)

Well, i said it JUST fits :)
that wasn't allowing much for a condensor, radiator and fans....actually requiring modification, of the firewall and radiator support to accomodate it.

Sometimes you find differences minor enough to have a BIG impact on what you are attempting.

As for the hieght, it is something that i had considered, and would be a helpfull thing, maybe a few measurments along it may help. I am not too concerned about it tho, as i can custom roll my own bonnet skin if needed.

I am hoping to run the adaptive shift auto as well, an i KNOW it wont fit!. The car i have requires new floors, so I am simply going to graft in the BA/BF tunnel and floor section, custom building Rail extensions as required.

What type of car is it? well i am not going to say at this point, as i wan't to build something that forces a second look. It is a fairly common car, but like i said, everyone else just bangs in a windsor....i want people to walk past, step back and say GET LOST!!

This is a feasability study at the moment. And some basic dimensions will decide if i proceed on this path....i damm well want to!
I just don't want to go out and pay the money for the donor vehicle and then get part way in only to find it cannot be done. Well anything can be done, but i want to put full rego on this.

To give a hint to the space i currently have, the car is running a 221 6 pot and 4 speed toyota box....and the bay is Chokkers!

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:21   #4 (permalink)

the actualy block is no bigger than your 221 the only thing bigger is the head and the hieght if you wanna run a Ba twin cam they are much higher than the e series motors!
notty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech