4.1 efi XE S-pac - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2005, 16:05   #1 (permalink)

4.1 efi XE S-pac

I've just picked up an S pac XE wagon with the above motor. I've never owned one of these motors before and being 20+ years old is a bit new and flash lookin' for me.

Are these motors prone to any common illness? Are they much better than a carb 4.1? Are there any worthwhile eco or performance upgrades commonly performed on them?

Any help would be cool,

Cheers
Phil

Yeah sorry Cleveland Forum, the price of gas in NZ is nearly $1.30 and I had to bite the bullet.
xentrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2005, 00:45   #2 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

Re: 4.1 efi XE S-pac

Vacuum leaks are the bain of the injected crossflow 250's. And cam lobe wear.
yeah right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 00:34   #3 (permalink)

Bugger on the vacuum leaks. Will remove as much extranious tubes and emission clutter when I refit the motor.

Yeah.....good old cam lobe wear. Why does this problem seem to go on and on from model to model, motor to motor. I dont think my 250 side flow XA had it, and my Clevo didn't have it. But every I6 for 20 years seems to have de-lobed prematurely.

Cheers for he 2 tips dude.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:17   #4 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

Yeah the vacuum leaks are a right prick alright. Block the EGR off f it's got one (my XF EFI has) & I've also disconnected the knock sensor on Friday & overadvanced the timing to 13 deg BTDC (that's base timing with the dreen spout disconnected) without any detonation that I can detect and that's running on the lowest of the low 91 octane fuel we have here in NZ. I'm tempted to give it a go on 96 or even 98.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:11   #5 (permalink)

Sympathy dude, i'm in Christchurch. NZ fuel is rumoured to be reject fuel that failed to meet QA for other countries. I personally dont think its ever 91 or 96, its just anything they can get cheap enough.

My Clevo goes pretty good on 96 with a bottle of booster in it, but didn't seem to have any gains running race fuel 100 octane. Someone told me it mixes poorly with existing tank fuel and you really need to time and carb for it..

Back to the 4.1, the breif bit of no reg and wof driving I did with it, it went really well, but under the bonnet is a jungle of pipe and hoses. It has A/C and one of those charcole filter things.

Do carb 6 extractors fit?.........if you know.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:52   #6 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

I've run bikes on race gas ibn the past with good noticable gains in power & smoother idle etc. Smells nicer too. It's still leaded so it's better in that respect too.

I expect the headers will fit - best to just look up a pacemakers catalogue & see it they're the same part number for the injected motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech