Ford Forums banner

4.1L Turbo EFI Conversion into 91 XF Ute

6K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Freak 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
im doing a turbo conversion on a 4.1L EFI motor. Im then putting it into my XF ute. I am using a R32 turbo and i want to run 7 psi without rebuilding the motor. Can someone please help me with things involved in completing the turbo conversion, eg. Parts needed etc... As i am only a learner when it comes to Forced Induction.
I am going to get an aftermarket engine management system, to control the motor and turbo and also the ignition etc.. The motor currently in the XF is a 3.9L Carby motor, so i think i may need a new external Fuel Pump and new Fuel Hoses...
Any advice is Greatly appreciated,
Thanks guys,
Guy

#2 ·
need a turbo manifold which would cost ya around $800 to get made, at least a 2.5 inch exhaust with decent mufflers, bigger injectors, surge tank (since ur going from carb to efi), fuel pumps, aftermarket ecu, decent auto or manual, diff gears if u wanna change them, the list can go on and on and on.

#4 ·
XXX.91F said:
Can the 4.1L cope with running 7 psi of boost if it hasnt been rebuilt?
Would the standard 4spd auto out of an XF ute be ok to use with the turbo motor?
What Aftermarket ECU would u recommend? (im on a budget)
Wat injectors would u recommend??
Thanks mate
how many kms has the engine got on it?
if it was me i'd give the engine a freshen up, other than that 7psi should be ok, just keep an ear out for pinging
as for ecu, it personal choice, im using wolf 3d in my car
injectors, if u can get your hands on a set of ba xr6t injectors they should be an ok size for the boost u want to run

#6 ·
Hey

I have a 85 XF Fairmont Gear which i scored as a bargain everything (some old pops owned it b4 going into a nursing home shame he didnt look after the running gear as well as the external/interioor of the car) what i would like to do (and i say LIKE) is go a tickord 6 or turbo it of some sort any ideas...

#7 ·
i think that turbo might be too small for your 4.1lt motor mate....if it's off a r32 gts then they only have a 2.5lt engine I think and even though they rev a lot more, it's still not gonna supply enough air. Minimum for a Ford six from what I've gathered is a T04 with a A/R of .6 on the compressor, and 1.00 on the turbine. What you've got there probably has .48 on the compressor and exhaust. Get two of them though and you should be right ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.