4lt Throttle Body - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2004, 02:32   #1 (permalink)

4lt Throttle Body

Has anybody had experience with getting their throttle body on a 4lt machined out, cause i was talking to a mechanic at ford in geelong and he suggested getting my throttle body machined out to gain a bit more power, any help woud be great....
EF Fairmont 4lt Auto - Wade 1004@112 Cam, Chiptorque Custom Chip, Lukey Stainless Extractors, Lukey 2.5" Exhaust, K&N Filter, AU3 XR8 Snorkle, Shiftkit, King Ultra Low Suspension, 18" Advantek Rims, DBA Gold Rotors, EBC Greenstuff Pads, Tickford Bodykit, Cornering Lamps, Kenwood H/U, 4x Response Splits, 2 x 12" Kicker Comp VR Subs, 2 x Response Amps, Roof Mount LCD, DVD Player.
[TUFEA-6] is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2004, 02:55   #2 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

Re: 4lt Throttle Body

It's not needed, the standard TB is 65mm which is bucket loads for a I6, they can make over 230kw with the standard unit.
A bigger one will hurt throttle response.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 03:02   #3 (permalink)
The Prince Of Darkness

i ported mine out to 68mm instead of the standard 63mm and didnt notice anything didnt drop in throttle response or gain anything at all not worth it
Spider_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 04:25   #4 (permalink)

My mate actually machines out throttle bodies for the 3.8 Ecotec Common-whores and he believes it is a worthwhile modification. Apparently people are gaining 3-4 rwkw with them but the Commo TB possibly doesn't flow as well as the Falcon's in stock form.
As Rick pointed out, the stock TB flows well enough to produce 230KW so i wouldn't even bother.
I notice that your pic is of an EF, therefore if anything, i would get rid of the standard intake and install a 2.5" or 3" pipe. Apparently people realise an increase in power with this sort of mod..
chich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 05:00   #5 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

If your going to do anything just polish the inside.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 05:18   #6 (permalink)
Jim Mock You Rock

Iv seen the same size throttle body on an american ford 5.8 litre and it made 223rwkw
useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 07:56   #7 (permalink)

Your better off not polishing the inside smooth as gas velocity will be higher over a rough surface than that of a smooth one, a golf ball is a perfect example of this
Jaysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 08:21   #8 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysen
Your better off not polishing the inside smooth as gas velocity will be higher over a rough surface than that of a smooth one, a golf ball is a perfect example of this
That's not correct, a rough surface creates turbulence which reduces flow. The reason for golf balls having a rough surface is to allow them to control the flight characteristics of the ball. Polishing the inside of the TB will allow greater flow, but as already mentioned, the 65mm throttle body flows plenty already. On the V8's they are capable of 240+rwkw and the I6 should be no different.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 16:12   #9 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysen
so in this theory, a ported head with smooth ports will slow air flow?
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 22:27   #10 (permalink)

You should use a 70-80grit sand paper finish. The turbulence is extremely minor, and it actally causes the air molecules that are trapped in the (very small) pockets produced by the roughness to act as bearings(for lact of a better word for it). polishing ports will not increase airflow at all, the air will in contact with the walls will 'stick' to them, which will slow the air down.

I hope this helps some people understand what is going on.
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech