600rwhp Turbo ED Project - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2004, 22:14   #1 (permalink)
tgoodlich@hotmail*****

600rwhp Turbo ED Project

I'm doing this stage by stage but here is the first of many stages. Its a T66 turbo with a 42mm wastegate with a steam pipe turbo manifold into a stock ED Falcon. Hope the picture turns out OK as first timer for picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg John and turbo pictures 047.JPG (18.7 KB, 2890 views)
turbotrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2004, 22:27   #2 (permalink)
tgoodlich@hotmail*****

Re: 600rwhp Turbo ED Project

Essentially I am bolting on a high power non intercooled turbo kit onto an otherwise stock falcon and taking the power up in stages to see where it leads to. I've engineered it all to be as simple as it can be to install. Although the log manifold may seems simple, it really is in my opinion the best way to go (unless someone can convince me otherwise). I've located the turbo low so it doesnt melt the brake booster or bonnet (much like where the BA turbo is located). The wastegate is located in an ideal location so that the gases are wasted equally from the front and rear cylinders (yes its a split pulse design). The exhaust exit is straight then into a 45 deg bend. No nasty 90deg bends to impede flow and a 4" exhaust is possible. The manifold is designed to fit all T4 turbos and the much larger T series turbos(which are quite large). To top it off the manifold is designed to flow gasses as well as possible with smooth bend. There is a little volume located where the wastegate waste gases so that flow can still continue into the turbine (does that make sense).

Will post more pics once finished the 3.5" exhaust and 2.5" cross over pipe
Old 08-14-2004, 23:10   #3 (permalink)

nice
how much is this costing you
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 00:08   #4 (permalink)
YES its a 5 Speed!!

Awesome news!!! looks great... cant wait to see the results!!! got any more pics lately???

For Sale: 2001 Yamaha WR400F
PM me for info
Supa R00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 00:19   #5 (permalink)
no tire smoke no fun!

keep us posted, interesting !

There is a war inside my head, if I take a day off I'll die!

This cat, is cat, a cat, good cat, way cat, to cat, keep cat, a cat, idiot cat, busy cat, for cat, 20 cat, seconds cat! Now read it all without the word cat!
zbenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 07:02   #6 (permalink)
tgoodlich@hotmail*****

I put on the exhaust and cross over pipe today and took it for a drive with the wastegate on a 3psi spring. I had the air fuel ratio meter on and the fueling was lean right across the board with it going to 16+:1 trying to get it on boost (very lean). Then put on an adjustable fuel pressure reg and pushed the fuel pressure up (dont know how much, maybe 10psi) and got the idle a/f ratio to about 10.5 (was about 15 but want about 13 here. At this idle air/fuel ratio its beginning to be so rich that the idle is not the best) which gave me a 3psi boost a/f ratio of about 13.5 (was 16+|butwant about 12 here). Nevertheless with just 3psi there is a decent power gain to spin one tyre with the open diff in second gear.
I could use a 1 to 4 rising rate regulator which would help in getting the mixtures closer but will first try with a map sensor mod that may help. I have a fully programmable EMS8860 already set up but I am just interested to see how well I can get the stock computer working at 3psi.

Regarding costing, I have not worked this out yet but will post once I put pen to paper. However if anyone wants laser cut exhaust flanges/ split pulse turbo flanges/ racegate flanges that fit perfectly I can supply them to anyone who is interested in building their own turbo manifold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turbo ed 004.jpg (80.7 KB, 1721 views)
File Type: jpg turbo ed 002.jpg (78.6 KB, 1808 views)
File Type: jpg turbo ed 001.jpg (55.9 KB, 1632 views)
Old 08-16-2004, 07:11   #7 (permalink)
tgoodlich@hotmail*****

Regarding the above photo, note that turbonetics have some good and not so good turbines. The ones that I choose to use are a big bore at the entry and are a much better design than the small bore entry turbines. Note that the turbine holes are exactly matched with the turbine outlet for smooth flow. Although the turbine is new I get it machined very smooth along with the manifold so that there is no need to use any turbo gasket.
The engine bay looks a bit messy cause I'm using jumper leads to get the power from the battery on the other side. This will all be sorted out in the next couple of weeks.
Old 08-16-2004, 17:31   #8 (permalink)

Are you going to fit an abjustable boost controller? My mate was talking them up the other week, was thinking about the eboostcontroller, but its around $400. I think changing the springs would get annoying, but in your setup the wastegate seems very accessible.
82falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 04:16   #9 (permalink)
black xr6

Mate that is sik i have an ed xr6 and would love to do something like that but have none of the knowledge required, or the connections to get it done how much it cost?
i am envious that is beutiful mate im blown away. cheers seeing that has made my day
edfalconxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 05:01   #10 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Turbotrana, just a quick q.
Did you remove the breather pipe from the rocker cover to the throttle body - because if its still in place you will lose boost and pressurize the crankcase.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech