66 200ci cylinder head - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2006, 13:09   #1 (permalink)
Muffler Bearing

confused 66 200ci cylinder head

I had to remove the exhaust manifold off my 200ci block and in the process, i broke the heads off all of the bolts. i haven't completed taking it out of the car, but i was able to un-do the head from the block and the manifold from the exhaust pipe. now, my question is, if i spray enough liquid wrench on the bolts (after i remove the exhaust manifold) will i be able to tweek the bolts off with a vise grip (or the like), will i have to drill out and re-tap them or could i purchase one somewhere? i checked on ebay and i found one, but it will prolly be gone by the time i get up the money to buy it and i haven't been able to find one anywhere! there is bare bones on parts for the inline 6's, unless i'm not lookin in the right places. ANY help at all would be more than greatly appreciated. thank you all in advance!

Horsepower tells how fast you can hit a wall . . . Torque tells lets you move the wall.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2006, 21:26   #2 (permalink)

Re: 66 200ci cylinder head

Hi Clutch,
If you can get the head off the block and out of the car you should be able to recover it. What you can do is file what is left of the studs flat with the head, centre mark the stud and drill them out. The trick is to use a drill small enough not to touch the thread in the head. With the heat of drilling, what is left of the stud will usually come out. Next step, once you have drilled out the stud is to use a tap to clean the threads.
The other alternative is lay the head on its side and poor oil over the studs so it soaks in for a week or so and try to lossen the studs...
Allan
allans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 08:58   #3 (permalink)
Muffler Bearing

Thanx. i got the head out of the car. i managed to get 2 of the bolts out w/o a prob. i broke 2 off flush with the head, one i stripped the head off and the rest i broke the heads off. i was able to get the exhaust manifold off after breaking it (unintentionally). i broke the piece off from the 5th and 6th cyl's and was able to shimmy the rest over the blots after cracking the piece off from the one bolt i couldn't remove. i'm going to see what i can do with this stuff i found at the store. it's better than PB Blaster and the reason i got the two bolts out (now if i had only tried it first. . . ). i'm gonna see what that and a vise grip can do about the remaining studs and worst comes to worst, tap 'em. i knew this restore wasn't gonna be easy, but damn, i've already got a headache. oh, wait, that's from the fumes. sorry i take that back.

Horsepower tells how fast you can hit a wall . . . Torque tells lets you move the wall.
Old 03-19-2006, 14:56   #4 (permalink)

A product called Bolt Off works wonders on seized and rusted bolts.
northey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 21:28   #5 (permalink)
Muffler Bearing

yeah, these are definatly seized and beyond rusted. i could prolly leave it outside for another year and they would rust outta the head! i'm soaking them in deep creep right now. i sprayed about half the can on it and if it takes more it takes more. i'm prolly gonna stop an look for bolt off tomorrow after work. thank you again guys for the help, i'll let ya know how it goes.

Old 03-21-2006, 02:51   #6 (permalink)

why dont you just drill the centres and use an easy out if you have the head off. so simple

or take em down to the local engine builder and he will get um out for about 60 bucks
XR Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:32   #7 (permalink)
Muffler Bearing

Well, i have tried Deep Creep and Bolt Out and neither have worked or i just can't get a good enough grip on the bolts. My friend suggested drilling a small hole thru the bolt, inserting a small metal rod and turning them out like that. i am going to try this and i do not prevail i will be bring it to the closest engine builder/machine shop to me. either way i don't care because i just picked up a 5.0 with a .030 overbore and i'm in the process of disassembling it and stroking it to 347.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech