66/67 crankshaft questions... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2005, 17:24   #1 (permalink)

66/67 crankshaft questions...

Will the crankshaft out of a 1966 6 Cylinder manual transmisson motor work in a 1967 6 Cylinder automatic motor?

I know the bolt holes in the back of the crank are different. I plan on slotting the flywheel to adapt to it. The connecting rod diameters on both motors on the crank are both 1.123.

Thanks, this is my first post here.
pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2005, 07:49   #2 (permalink)

Re: 66/67 crankshaft questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl
Will the crankshaft out of a 1966 6 Cylinder manual transmisson motor work in a 1967 6 Cylinder automatic motor?

I know the bolt holes in the back of the crank are different. I plan on slotting the flywheel to adapt to it. The connecting rod diameters on both motors on the crank are both 1.123.

Thanks, this is my first post here.
WHAT MOTOR IS WHICH?
THEY HAD 5 MAIN CAP AND 7 MAIN CAP ON CERTAIN MOTORS.
66 COULD BE A 170cu AND THE 67 A 188 OR 221 I THINK.
xrglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 14:25   #3 (permalink)
Registered Cruiser

Hi further to what Xrglen said:

I have a 5 bearing main 200 from a 1966 falcon and a 7 bearing main 200 from a 1967 falcon.

Both are automatics...

I also have a manual 144 from an XP. you have to be careful with these engines because the bell housing mounts changed around on the early blocks.. eg the manual blocks are narrower than the autos.

A shop here in Adelaide, (Fishop Falcons) sells adapter plates to convert the manual block to an auto trans..

Can you please explain this line further "I plan on slotting the flywheel to adapt to it"

If you mean you are going to cut slots in the fly wheel to accept an alternative bolt hold pattern, I would strong discourage you from doing this... Have you done this before? was it okay?

Cheers
Old 12-02-2005, 03:36   #4 (permalink)

It depends on the ci and number of main bearings. 66 and 67 should be XR which means that the cranks will all be 7 mains and should have same flywheel attachment (BTW dont slot holes) and if there same ci then go ahead. Auto and manuals trannys are same.
The two sixes in XR are the 170ci with a stroke of 2.94 and the 200 with 3.13, however they have different con rods.
XT falcons had the 188 and 221 ci which is different again. If we're talking about XPs then its 144 170 and 200ci but all are 4 mains bearings.
hope this helps.
A7M
aussie7mains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 15:20   #5 (permalink)

The 67 6 cylinder is a Mustang motor and supposedly the 6 cylinder that I bought was a 1966 motor (also out of a Mustang). Both the cranks appear to be the same. The bolt pattern on the 67 crank has 6 holes equally spaced. The bolt pattern on the 66 crank has 6 holes also, but only 3 of the holes match up to the 67 fly wheel (automatic). The other 3 holes I thought about slotting just a hair because its only a thin fly wheel for an automatic. I work in a machine shop and I dont think that would create a problem. If you think so please let me know.

thanks
pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech