'92 f-250 inline 6cyl, rough starting only... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 09:21   #1 (permalink)

'92 f-250 inline 6cyl, rough starting only...

I have recently purchased a 92 f250 with a 6 cylinder in it. it seems to run great but on cold startup and sometimes a warm startup, it has a terrible misfire and will not always pickup and start running correctly. sometimes i have to shut it off and restart it...

i am a heavy equipment mechanic and have been around carbureted and diesel engines and wiring problems for the past 40 years, but this electronic automotive stuff is out of my league....

is there anyway to diagnose the problem with my engine or is it a common sensor problem that can be replaced to fix it without much further fuss over it?... does it have an obd connection located somewhere?

there are two sensors at the intake, i suspect the one on the side is the tps, as the throttle cable and linkage is on the opposite side of it, and I suspect the other one that is on top is the mass airflow sensor. when i unplug this one with the engine running correctly, it kinda replictes the startup issue for a few seconds.... then it returns to normal running. i can plug it back in without any running issues... when i unplug it again, it replicates the rough startup again.

if you have any suggestions, toss them my way... Thanks
centerline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2013, 10:26   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: '92 f-250 inline 6cyl, rough starting only...

Start with the basics. Check condition of plugs an wires, check fuel pressure both running and after sitting. Unplugging the mass airflow will cause the change you describe but doesn't usually cause your symptoms, same with the TP sensor.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:33   #3 (permalink)

Re: '92 f-250 inline 6cyl, rough starting only...

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-clar View Post
Start with the basics. Check condition of plugs an wires, check fuel pressure both running and after sitting. Unplugging the mass airflow will cause the change you describe but doesn't usually cause your symptoms, same with the TP sensor.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
plugs and wires are new.... i have found out that its actually the idle air control motor that sits on top of the intake... when i unplug it while normal running, it replicates the problem...
i will check the fuel pressure before cold start up and after... what are the spec limits for the fuel pressure?
thanks for the help
centerline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech