Absolute Debarkle - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2005, 05:54   #1 (permalink)

mad Absolute Debarkle

owned my eb for about 2 years and converted it to manual and it has been an absolute weapon. Then the other day my radiator shat itself so I thought fair enough these things happen. Then after changeover it decides to blow a hose off and waste all the fresh coolant. over to the servo I walk and buy more coolant and even a surge tank cap in case their was to much pressure. I get back home check under the car and almost faint.

Leaking out of the Heater hose seal, Thermostate gasket,3rd or 4rd Welsh Plug and god knows where else. Has anyone came across anything like this before?

Also I am looking into getting extractors soon as I have a 2.5 inch exhaust already and I was wondering how many % power increase you get out of the 4.0 and how noticable it is. My mate recons they do close to nothing for 4.0's and I seen a few posts on FF pretty much saying the same thing, but then others are more than satisfied. Is it really worth buying pacemaker ph4480's or would a pair of cheap redback extractors :) do the trick?
EB 5spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2005, 07:51   #2 (permalink)
Another Ford Driver

Re: Absolute Debarkle

Had a similar problem with my XE, it wasn't anywhere near as major as yours, just three hoses in quick succession and looks like the thermostat is next. As for extractors I reckon they're worth it just for the crackle on downshifts As for price, from what I've been reading around here it's pretty much a case of you get what you pay for, Although there has been some interesting stuff about JMM headers, which use a different design to most in that they use long primaries (i think) Most of the people on here who have had them fitted seem to think they're good stuff.
pandaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 15:37   #3 (permalink)

Wow.. that would have made a huge steamy mess

sorry to hear that..

extractors.. i buy em for the sound alone.. power increase is minimal.. and as for expensive ones.. i don't know, i would buy the better versions, stainless ect. but even still, the performance would not be that noticable
Stangas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 16:56   #4 (permalink)
EMW ??? Whats missing ?

seriously sounds like the cooling system is over pressure, possible head gasket could be pumping cylinder pressures into cooling system, best check for head gasket.
Id go pace maker comps :> for sure , i havnt yet as im to lazy, but from what ive heard they perform well.
3.7 lsd
AU bottem end
ELXR6 ported Head
PH4480 Pacemakers
INJECTED250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 23:17   #5 (permalink)
what u lookin at

how many k's has your falcon got? if its at about 200,000+ then the head gasket could have possibly gone aswell.
also heard the JMM extractors work very well and many hours R&D have been put into them, also why they are expensive $500+ i think.
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 06:14   #6 (permalink)

wow! thanks for the reply's

I'll get the compression tester on it tomorrow and check the 6th cylinder its done 270,000. As for pressure, when the cars warm you cannot push the hose that runs from the top of the radiator to the thermostate in. I found this to be a worrie but correct me if I am wrong. Also the car has developed a wirling sound when your driving it. Sounds like the fan is stuck on warm up mode. I have had no trouble at all with the car appart from this.

As for extractors I wouldnt pay anything more than the comp pacemakers.Trying to talk myself into it for the exhaust note. I am getting a hotdog put on my tailpipe as the resonator muffles the sound a little to much.
Old 01-03-2005, 14:27   #7 (permalink)
i was there now i'm here

so you saying when motor is at nomal temp you can not compress the top radiator hose.

be carefull cause some hoses if not all have wire in them,,you could be trying to push that in,,if not then your system is way over pressure,,at all time that tp hose should be able to be compressed,,get it checked out
Old 01-03-2005, 21:29   #8 (permalink)

I have it on good authority that a fresh new coolant mix can become an extremely thin fluid - thinner than water alone - and will penetrate and leak out of places you never thought possible. It will even leach out through rubber hoses. My EL with the original factory red coolant made the white markings on the hoses pink because the coolant leached through the hose walls. If you have leaks, you'll have to fix them.

Hoses with spiral coils in them are usually only found on the inlet (suction) side of the water pump and are there to prevent hoses collapsing under suction from the water pump and stifling coolant flow and thus giving rise to circulation problems. You won't usually find them on the outlet side of an engine. Hoses can be almost drum tight when squeezed even with the right pressure cap as there can be up to about 15psi in the system at normal running temperatures. But that can vary on engine temp, ambient temp etc. It usually takes several kM for prssure to build up and stabilise. Take care though, you can get badly burnt with hot coolant when removing the cap.
fordboy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 22:44   #9 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

It's the bottom radiator hose that's got the wire reinforcement in it.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 00:52   #10 (permalink)

I was pushing the top hose in and I know it doesnt have springs cause you are able to do it when the car is cold. well that makes me think the pressure is normal but havent got around to fixing all my problems yet. Are you able to put welsh plugs in without any aviation sealant? because my mate who is a mechanic insists that you dont.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech