aftermarket rods for 250 xflow - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2005, 22:44   #1 (permalink)

aftermarket rods for 250 xflow

does anyone make aftermarket rods for the 250 xflows? or for the 200 xflow's?

i read a storey about a turbo cortina running a 200 xflow and says he using crower rods.... were those rods for the 200 or they from a chebby etc?
MRJLB84D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2005, 23:29   #2 (permalink)

Re: aftermarket rods for 250 xflow

I Tried To Get Some H Beam 250 Rods And Everyone Said "no Cant Do". So I Got Std Rods, Beam Polished, Shot Peened, And Arp Bolts. Cost Is About $500
xrglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 23:32   #3 (permalink)

thinking of going the EF crank and rod conversion with a set of forged xf pistons

how strong are the EF rods (i hear they can handle 600hp re: jim mock motorsport) and hope they can handle boost well cause they will be getting 10+psi put over them
Old 12-16-2005, 17:17   #4 (permalink)

i used the ef crank and 200 rods with pistons from acl race series.
std rods 200 or 250 or 4.0 are all good if shotpeened and beam polished and arp studs. good for 500hp.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:45   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrglen
i used the ef crank and 200 rods with pistons from acl race series.
std rods 200 or 250 or 4.0 are all good if shotpeened and beam polished and arp studs. good for 500hp.
i keep hearing the EF crank can just simply bolt it with no mods! it cant be true can it?! i also hear that the TRW ef rods are stronger? yay or nay?

my motor is going to be boosted, how many psi can i run with this combo, 12-15psi??
Old 12-19-2005, 07:07   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJLB84D
i keep hearing the EF crank can just simply bolt it with no mods! it cant be true can it?! i also hear that the TRW ef rods are stronger? yay or nay?

my motor is going to be boosted, how many psi can i run with this combo, 12-15psi??
trw rods were used from late 86 onwards and are stronger than older ones. when fitting the ef crank you just have to machine the block to take the bigger rear main seal, easy and under $70. you can machine the crank but this puts the flywheel bolts closer to the seal. which can make it leak when the bolts are tightened. preped trw rods will easy handle 20lb and or 600hp.
Old 12-19-2005, 20:45   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
trw rods were used from late 86 onwards and are stronger than older ones. when fitting the ef crank you just have to machine the block to take the bigger rear main seal, easy and under $70. you can machine the crank but this puts the flywheel bolts closer to the seal. which can make it leak when the bolts are tightened. preped trw rods will easy handle 20lb and or 600hp.
damn! seems like a piece of piss! makes you wonder why more ppl aint doing it!

my engine i have now is a rebuilt one with 86DA block (std rebuild) i got the motor from work and it was driving a hydrolic pump on a concrete agi (which only did 20hrs work at 1500rpm max speed)

seeing as the motor is still really fresh, will it handle the 9psi im about to pump into it (i have a mike vine turbo setup, like used on the dick johnson grand prix XD's) as i wanna wait til it goes bang, then go the EF crank conversion etc etc and go more boost
Old 12-20-2005, 04:03   #8 (permalink)

WILL HANDLE IT EASY. JUST DONT REV IT OVER 6000RPM. THATS WHEN THE STD X-FLOWs F---UP.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:30   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
WILL HANDLE IT EASY. JUST DONT REV IT OVER 6000RPM. THATS WHEN THE STD X-FLOWs F---UP.
dont rev it over 6000rpm with the std rebuilt motor setup or the EF crank conversion setup???
Old 12-23-2005, 08:37   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJLB84D
dont rev it over 6000rpm with the std rebuilt motor setup or the EF crank conversion setup???

with std setup. with ef crank you could go to 7500 if it was posible.. in std form the old x-flow crank didnt have enough crank counterweights and bad harmonics made the flywheel come loose at 6000 every time, even when dowels and good bolts with loc tite were used. i learned the hard way with 4 motors. now i have a good steel balancer, ef crank and good balance job. arp or std chev bolts work good in the flywheel.. glen mhbs@bigpond.net.au
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech