Age Old EA problems in Summer/hot weather - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2003, 15:50   #1 (permalink)
E Series Chick Supremo

frown Age Old EA problems in Summer/hot weather

I know this subject has been covered but without any real answers being given. We have had many theories about fuel, coils etc but not one of these single things seem to be the answer.

Here is what happened to me on my trip down to Bathurst over the weekend that made a 3hr trip into an 8hr one

I left home at about 11am in 30odd degree heat. I had already done over 50k's before I left to go into town,so the engine was warm when I left. About 30k's down the road the tacho started to jump a little but there was no noticable difrence in the revs of the engine so I dropped my speed to 90/100k's (open road limits up here) and kept an eye on everything.

After travelling another 100k's the tacho was jumping more & more and there was a distinctive lack of power up hills (these were big hills I will add).The temp gauge was a little higher than where it normally sits ie: on the bottom line of the normal section, but was still under half way. After about another 30k's there was a huge backfire (read like a cannon going off). and a surge started to happen every 15-30 seconds. This surge wasnt a huge one but enough that my passenger then realised something was amiss.

I slowed to about 80k's and being in the middle of nowhere I kept on going slowly. The backfiring gradually got worse as did the surging. These got to the point that I could only travel at about 40k's and it was basically the forward surge that kept me moving. If I took my foot of the accelerator it would stall so I kept my foot just barely touching it to keep going.

The temp of the day would have been about 35 degrees by this stage & the whole car felt hot even though the temp gauge was still only reading just under half & I knew there was still water in it. The fuel pump was a lot louder than normal as well so I thought that was the problem.

It got to the point that I had to stop and got towed into the next town. When we got to the mechanics the car had cooled as I parked under a tree. The mechanic took her for a drive & there seemed to be no problem at all

He used a computer to check the leads and there was nothing amiss there & he suggested that the filter in the fuel tank was the problem & it must have cleaned out on the back of the tow truck.

I slowly got to Bathurst by stopping at all the towns on the way & letting her cool down.

I started realising this wasnt just a fuel problem when I left the last town I stopped in at about 6pm......The air was a lot cooler outside and the surges were getting less and less just as they had started getting more & more .....

The closer to Bathurst I got the better she ran......

I only drove her once over the weekend and had another guy come to see what she would do as the afternoon was warming. When cool she was great ...... as soon as the temp gauge moved over the bottom line of normal the tacho started again........so did the backfire

On my way home yesterday the weather was cool & the needle never moved and the fuel pump sounded like normal. Lets say the trip home was vastly faster than on the way there.

I have so far replaced the front fuel filter, air filter and used injector cleaner to no avail....... all I seem to need is cool weather......... not good when our summers here can get to 40odd degrees

So my question is ........... What is it that is being affected by the heat ..... is it only the fuel pump, the electrics ...... or some other thing that we will never know & have to not use our cars during summer

Ohhhhhh for those who dont know ..... shes a 1988 EA Spac CFI 3.9

:fairy

Check out the OzECruisers Inc. website HERE

FF Lynch Mob BITCH
O.F.R #65

Last edited by Mother Nature; 11-24-2003 at 15:55.
Mother Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2003, 04:31   #2 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Re: Age Old EA problems in Summer/hot weather

Check for a crack in the coil that opens up when it gets hot. The backfiring does suggest sometime of ignition timing problem so that where I would start next stop being the TFI module.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:42   #3 (permalink)
-

I would say something ignition related too. The tacho jumping could mean the TFI is stuffed, or the hall effect sensor in the dizzy. If you fiddle with it, change both at the same time. Coil is a further down the chain but still worth swapping if you can get out of it cheaply.

Good luck finding it!!

Jase
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 11:00   #4 (permalink)

I agree, coil related.
Old 11-25-2003, 20:47   #5 (permalink)
Looking in YOUR bathroom.

Ive got a similar problem. Not heat related more 100% of the time. At idle she shudders and under 5-10% throttle it sounds like LOUD pinging/shuddering, but as soon as the revs get above 2000 or the throttle over 25% its smooth as. I think its either my rotor cap or coil.

Ill take it as a complement i think.............
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 21:02   #6 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Plugs, Leads, Distributor Cap, TFI and coil, after that if there is still a problem, then it gets tricky, but heat is a cause, so check head bolt torque, and the distributer, also the manifolds, you may a vacuum leak causing the problem as well.

You have to start some where, and replacing external parts is the best place to start.

Coil first and check inlet and exhaust are done up tight, distributer cap second, then go from there

Good luck :0)

Dellboy999

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 03:10   #7 (permalink)
chris

does any one know the price for a coil for a series 11 eb 4 litre
cjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 03:34   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjay
does any one know the price for a coil for a series 11 eb 4 litre
I paid about $60/new
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 06:45   #9 (permalink)

My mpfi EA will idle high and the engine and sometimes the revs will rise and fall and eventually stall. This only happens when the outside temp is above about 30 degrees. Has nothing to do with how hot my car gets.

I have tested and replaced a lot of sensors and stuff, but i havent tried the ACT sensor yet. I doubt a faulty sensor would cause problems like backfiring and loss of power though.
brjamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 03:24   #10 (permalink)
E Series Chick Supremo

OK guys ..... coil changed ...... not much difference :(

There is a notable gain in power and the surging isnt as bad but the tacho needle is still going ballistic even if the temp gauge is barely over the lower end of the normal section ........

What next ...... the coil cost me $96 fitted :(

:fairy

Check out the OzECruisers Inc. website HERE

FF Lynch Mob BITCH
O.F.R #65
Mother Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech