Air Filters - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2004, 02:03   #1 (permalink)

Air Filters

Can any one tell me from experience ,which is the best hi flow air filter? ive looked on websites at k&n,unifilter & BMC and they all say theirs is better than the rest--naturally enough.Some info from practical experience would be appreciated.
Greg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2004, 02:22   #2 (permalink)

Re: Air Filters

From experience KN are top notch........... Have tried Pod and Panel filters and I was happy with both......
They are dear but I think its worth it.......

“ NOT ALL DRUGS ARE GOOD - SOME ARE GREAT “
nerrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 02:24   #3 (permalink)
Dev 5 Mutant

Can't say from practical experience but from the posts on here it seems to be BMC followed by K&N for the best of the pick.

However if you do a search on autospeed http://www.autospeed.com they did an article where the factory filters came out almost as good as the standard ones.
Cam install by Crescent Motorsport, Liverpool

Dyno

Timeslip
loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 02:25   #4 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Yeah K&N are good, BMC is suppose to flow a bit more but both are excellent products.

The autospeed article isn't a really good comparison either (like most of the autospeed stuff). On stock engines and stock snorkle yeah they probably won't give anything but IMO they are a defenite improvement in flow and filtration over the stock paper elements. If you look at total airflow through the filters alone (without airbox or snorkle) then the K&N/BMC filters flow about 4 times more that the standard falcon element.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 02:46   #5 (permalink)

Anyone used/heard anything wrong with the FinerFilter Foamies?
smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 03:00   #6 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by smee
Anyone used/heard anything wrong with the FinerFilter Foamies?
Yeah had one on mine before I got a K&N. They seem quite good, IMO the design and foam element looks like it might filter a bit better. The only problem is they tend to contain more oil in the filter compared with the K&N and that can be a problem on V8's with MAF sensors (oil can coat the MAF sensor wire giving false readings), but should be fine on I6's.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 03:22   #7 (permalink)
In-line 6, DOHC, 24V

Foam filters have a higher restriction rate, they are great for dusty conditions but not for maximum performance. And they are a hassle to clean.

K&N are made from cotton, so last a very long time because they are washable and quite easy to wash. They flow slightly better than paper filters, but keep a close eye on the cotton becoming perforated with age (do not use high air pressure to clean).

The new type filters, as used on BA petrol & Toyota engines are very good but difficult to clean, but I have no specs.

Read this article; http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 12:03   #8 (permalink)

uhh, i'm not sure about foam filters being hard to clean.. it takes me 3 minutes max.

hot4s did a test between k&n cotton filters and unifilter foam filters

the k&n filter flowed 1cfm more than the unifilter but the unifilter caught 30 microns smaller particles

reason being is that its oil based filter

500ml bottle of this oil is $10

i've cleaned my filter about 20 times and theres still 80% of the bottle left.

all thats required to clean is:

pour a small amounts of turps in a bucket

drop the filter element in the turps and twist it around a bit

all the dirt and old oil comes out.

put new oil on, twist filter element

stick back in ur car and you're set.

$72 for unifilter foam flat panel filter for the airbox.
97ELGLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 14:14   #9 (permalink)
In-line 6, DOHC, 24V

I have cleaned all types of filters and I would rather clean a K&N type filter any day.
There is plenty of studies around the place showing that any filtering device saturated in oil will cause some type of restriction. Foam/oil filters were originally developed for dirt racing.

But, whatever works for you.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm
Quote:
Each test filter was used in the same car, on the same roads for 500 miles. The darker deposits indicate poorer filtration, and lighter ones better filtration. That said, both the cotton gauze type (K&N) and foam filters (Amsoil & Jackson Racing) showed the same levels of filtration. Both performed poorly compared to the fiberous or paper filters (Napa, Baldwin, and Mazda).
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest2.htm
Quote:
So what do these results mean? For one, there is very little pressure drop across any air filter, and the difference between the best (K&N) and worst (paper) is very small. Yes as total power output increases, air flow increases, and differential pressure would also increase. So a K&N probably does yield some power on higher output race motors where every last ounce of power must be squeezed out. On lower powered street cars, it is probably not much of an improvement over paper................
Also bear in mind the K&N is cotton gauze, the Racing Beat is a single stage foam type filter, the Jackson Racing and Amsoil are dual stage foam, and the Napa is a paper filter. So cotton gauze does flow more air than foam as claimed. Amsoil is the best foam filter for flow. The foam filters are a real pain in the rump to service (this just my opinion and not fact). For that reason, I will never ever own a foam filter myself. I've owned several K&Ns and they are easier to service. If you are buying a high performance filter for airflow, K&N is tops in this test.
My 2 cents worth.
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 02:44   #10 (permalink)
FPVWEPN

dont run a filter :) heaps more power :)
King Springs Superlows, K-mac camber-castor kit, colour coded interior, AU3 Xr8 Snorkle, K&N pod Filter, Deribbed Air Box, AutoLite Plugs, JMM Race Series Headers, High flow cat, 2.5 inch Redback exaust, 3" stainless steel intake, dev 5 cam, rollmaster timing gear, crow valve springs, stainless steel valves, dev 5 head, au headgasket, 4.11 LSD "174 rwks!!!"
FPVWEPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech