Another blown EA head gasket question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2003, 15:59   #1 (permalink)

Another blown EA head gasket question

Our second car is an EA "88. Only 67000k's ago I got the engine fully recoed. top and bottom end at a cost of $1650. yesterday I saw the dreaded white oil in the filler cap and team and water coming out the exhaust. I am tossing up if I should go ahead and get the head recoed or just cut my losses on it. I am assuming a head job would be about $600, does this sound about right. I only bought our second car a few mths ago (EF wgn).So funds are a bit tight at the moment.
this is the 4th time this has happened to the head in the 7 years we have owned the bitch.
Does that sound a reasonable time to have the head go again 67K's?
I have always kept it serviced regularly oil every 5000k's and fresh coolant and regular flushes.
Is it time to put it out to pasture or would I be better looking for a car for about $3000(danger territory)
ShaneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2003, 16:07   #2 (permalink)
EB wagon

Your gasket should hold for longer than that! What exactly did they do to the head when u got it done?? Sounds too me that the head is warped and wasnt machined flat. Some people seem to have alot of problems with head gaskets... ive been lucky on my EB and havent had this problem yet (240K). Try doing it yourself. I tried it on an old ea i borught and i was surprised how easy it was. If u want the gasket to last longer, take the head to a reconditioner for machining.

Brent
EB1 3.9L MPI Falcon Wagon with converted T5 / Pacemaker & 2.5" Redback sports exhaust / 2" lowered blocks at the rear, Kings lows up front / ED Tickford Head and Cam / K&N panel filter with XH intake Snorkel / Full EL Fairmont interior with woodgrain

89 EA1 3.9L TBI Falcon Sedan with 3 speed auto / currently being upgraded...
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 16:13   #3 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

yes I agree with brent79, firstly it should last much longer than that. Have you taken it to the same mechanic all 4 times? as I know a few people that will just put a new gasket in place, without machining the head or even using new bolts!
I would go a reco'd head, buy brand new head bolts, use a good quality gasket and you should be right.

Did the car overheat or did it just start to run rough?
If it overheated you might want to look at getting the radiator side tanks cleaned out

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 16:22   #4 (permalink)

Well what was done to it was new pistons rings bearings top and bottom, the head was supposedly machined and harder exhaust valves were put in it because it runs on LPG. No it didn't overheat it just happened, first started running rough at idle, then realised what had happened, he used a monotoque gasket in it, so didn't require retension. Pissed off but no point in bitching. I got a 12mth or 50000 k warranty with the reco. Around 3 years ago.
Old 05-20-2003, 16:37   #5 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Do you know if he used new head bolts?

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 21:54   #6 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

Have the head pulled off, inspect the water jacket opening for corrosion, if all is well have the head machined, new gasket and 100% importantly new head bolts - almost certainly the head bolts are the root of your problem.

Monotorque gasket is not a bad idea as the TTY head bolts don't like being torqued all the time.

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 22:04   #7 (permalink)

Yeah thanks for the thoughts, you would think he would have used new bolts considering the price I paid. I'm gonna pull the head next week.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:09   #8 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Hey you are tight on money.Try undoing each head bolt, one at a time and re torqueing them again with some thread grease on the threads and under head of bolt if you can run a tap or longer bolt to clean/clear the thread the better.It costs you nothing, maybe rocker gasget depending on which one you already have. Oh sugestion get a 2" X 1 mtr water pipe to torque unless you are sampson ...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 05:28   #9 (permalink)

If you overheat a engine there is a chance that the alloy in the head is no good anymore and will be prone to repeated failures like you are having.

You may need to buy another head and have it reconditioned.
cs123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 01:16   #10 (permalink)

Here is an article on head bolt torque, you may find interesting.

http://www.loctite.com.au/USERFORUM/forum2.htm
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech