another dead 250 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2006, 03:02   #1 (permalink)
sideways in a six

another dead 250

jeez i haven't been around for AGES - ADFA really expects me to be busy studying and ironing all day and night...

went for a drive tonight, i knew the flexplate was working its way lose (for the 3rd time after being loctited and done to 75lb/ft(??) - tight anyways) but this time I have a very very very hot (haha) sounding click coming from somewhere inside the rocker cover... as well as the great rattle from a f^^ked flexplate.

mate (kinda... well not really a mate at all but he will be soon) is getting rid of his V8 XD project for $0 so i'm cause i can basically... and i've bought a spare 250 off ebay for $51 which i was gonna build for my 'D but now i don't have to :D

but anybody know a) why the flex keeps coming off and b) the ticking is what exactly - engine still runs fine btw...
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2006, 12:58   #2 (permalink)

Re: another dead 250

Had a 75 Kingswood that the clutch assembly kept coming away from the flywheel. No amount of tightening or loctite kept that bastard on. It lived without the plate underneath so I could get under and do the bolts up on a weekly basis. Never found out the why or how of that problem.

I just assumed the problem was that I owned a holden. F#$ken kingswood.
CraigS288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 13:54   #3 (permalink)

hey mate
i had this same problem with my EF falcon back when it was auto and when i change the car to manual i found that on the torque converter where the flew plate bolts on all the threads were ****ed dunno why but yeah thats wat it was!!!!
so i fixed that problem but changing it to manual! :)
cheers
notty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 14:19   #4 (permalink)
sideways in a six

yeah sure - column shift auto to 5sp manual in the very very few spare hours i get

so it's one of those 'it just is' kinda problems i guess...
Old 05-20-2006, 04:50   #5 (permalink)

I read somewhere that a stuffed harmonic balancer can send the wrong vibrations to the flywheel bolts and surrounding areas.
dirt_ute_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 18:28   #6 (permalink)
sideways in a six

well yeah i guess it was something like that...

problem solved: 1985 ZL fairlane, 250k km, reco'd head for ULP, 4sp MANUAL :D, lowered, dragways, extractors, etc for $1k with 5 days rego !!! Had it for about a month now, absolutely love it
Old 05-20-2006, 20:59   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meethed
well yeah i guess it was something like that...

problem solved: 1985 ZL fairlane, 250k km, reco'd head for ULP, 4sp MANUAL :D, lowered, dragways, extractors, etc for $1k with 5 days rego !!! Had it for about a month now, absolutely love it
Vibration could be a lot of things but a loose harmonic balancer is the first place to look.
It may feel tight to touch but it needs to be checked properly.
northey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech