another dumb question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2004, 16:02   #1 (permalink)

another dumb question

sorry I have tried looking up about cams everywhere, I am supposed to cable tie the timing chain to the cam gear....but....

I am putting in an adjustable cam gear, so could I instead cable tie both the crankshaft and the idler sprocket to the timing chain, so therefor when I install the adjustable cam gear the timing chain has to be in the right spot for it to fit......THIS IS THE ONLY THING I AM UNSURE OF....

sorry if I am wasting peoples time with this question I just couldn't find it anywhere else, now I am off to go pick up my cam.
xfspacsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2004, 16:30   #2 (permalink)
Con

Re: another dumb question

the adjustable cam gear is designed to optimise the cam for power or economy. how will you know if its optimised if you dont adjust it a few times on the dyno. if your not going to adjust it use the original gear. If your going to install it to just drive to your local dyno then you can just try and line it up by sight. will be out slightly but if the dyno is close and you grandma drive there you should make it. good luck
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 16:40   #3 (permalink)
Con

with your method the chain wont move but the cam gear could be rotated...

use a pen to mark the chain and cam gear.
take the old cam gear out
keep tension on the chain so it stays on the bottom gear
line up the holes one the old cam gear with the new cam gear.
transfer the pen mark to the adjustable gear
cable tie the adjutsable gear to the chain with the marks lined up as close as possible.

dont forget the adjust the tensioner when your finished.
the chain will look and feel right but there will be the wrong tension on it. the idler will adjust its self up in tension not down.
Old 08-23-2004, 19:56   #4 (permalink)
Con

Q) How do i dial in a cam?
A) Mined by me written by Soxx

First thing we need to establish is whether the harmonic balancer is showing true TDC, as it is quite common for the outer ring to slip with age.
There are several methods for finding TDC, but this is probably the easiest way for a beginner.
Screw a bolt into number 1 spark plug hole with the end of it protruding (say) 10mm down the bore.
Wind the engine over by hand (gently) until the piston hits the bolt. Make a mark on the harmonic balancer at the TDC indicator. Now wind the engine over backwards until the piston hits the bolt again. Make another mark on the harmonic balancer. Now, the point exactly between the 2 marks you just made on the balancer is true TDC, make another 3rd mark, this may be on top of the mark which is already in the balancer. Simple.

Now that we have found TDC we can move onto adjusting the cam.

You will need a dial indicator for this, and you also need to know (from the cam grinder) the 'lift @ TDC' figure, which might be (say) 0.040".

You will need to set up the clock so it measures the movement of number 1 intake valve, this is very critical and accuracy is important here.
Adjust the clock so it reads zero when the valve is closed, slowly wind over the engine by hand until you reach TDC. The valve should have started opening and you will have a reading of 0.030" to 0.050" depending on how close the cam is set up to ideal.
If it's perfect straight away, you don't need to go any further.
If it's out by more than 0.001" either way, you will need to move the cam either by the use of the your newly fitted vernier gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech