Another head gasket bites the dust! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2003, 00:10   #1 (permalink)
Now boostless :-(

Thumbs down Another head gasket bites the dust!

Found out today my EF has a blown head gasket (as i suspected cause it was using alot of water). My mechanic said he'd send the head off to check if it has gone "soft" in which case i'll need a new head. What exactely makes the head go soft? Also what price is a reconditioned head?
NAPARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2003, 01:03   #2 (permalink)
E-Series Club Member

I thought heads only warped.. :shurg:

A head gasket job for the EA-EB s1 is usually ~ 1 grand

unsure about the EB s2 onwards...
<b><font color="#000080"><font face="Arial" size="2">1992 EB Falcon GL [ </font></font><font face="Arial" size="1" color="#0000FF">Series 1</font><font color="#000080" face="Arial" size="2"> ]</font></b><br><font face="Arial" size="1"><a href="http://discussions.fordforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37673">4 Speed Auto with Shift Mod</a><br>Interior Neons<br>MPFI Conversion [sn]</font>
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 07:00   #3 (permalink)
E-Series Club Member

yeah.. never heard of this "softness"
I've heard of warping, where they are machined.. or straightened or whatever they do to it
Old 03-12-2003, 12:50   #4 (permalink)

I think your mechanic is soft in the head :)

He probably means porous.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:55   #5 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

'Soft' could also be a term for the head being corroded. On a high milage car the alloy actually starts to turn into this shit that you can chip off with a screwdriver. The 6th water port would be the worst.
Old 03-12-2003, 13:43   #6 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

no when he says soft I can guarantee he meas soft, ALOT of people are under the impression that the E-series heads had a bad alloy compound from factory and went "soft" after a while. Its total bullshit, I would get a second opinion if I were you. I have had numerous amount of mechanics trying to tell me that ea's suffered from head gasket problems because the heads go soft! then you try to explain to them about the radiator side tanks, poor sealing surface around no6 piston etc but they wont listen, get a second opinion first, I would suggest sending your head away to be reco'd and doing it yourself

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 18:40   #7 (permalink)
formerly sikEA

Well the cheapest i have ever done a head gasket is about 380 dollars, thats with a genuine Ford gasket kit, new headbolts and all the other assorted bits and pieces (including head machining if i remember correctly)

To those of you out there who feel its unneccesary to have your head machined everytime you blow a gasket, i really hope you like visiting wreckers looking for heads and enjoy changing gaskets. You must have a nice square flat surface everytime you mate the head with the block, otherwise the gasket is only going to blow again quick smart. You also want a pro to check the head and give it a pressure test, a visual inspection hardly ever reveals any REAL demons.

...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
And Yagz, come back in six months faggot
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 19:46   #8 (permalink)
E-Series Club Member

will a leaky head gasket make the compression in the pistons lower?
I ask this because I was wondering, would you be able to have a compression test in the pistons to see if you have a leaky head gasket..
<b><font color="#000080"><font face="Arial" size="2">1992 EB Falcon GL [ </font></font><font face="Arial" size="1" color="#0000FF">Series 1</font><font color="#000080" face="Arial" size="2"> ]</font></b><br><font face="Arial" size="1"><a href="http://discussions.fordforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37673">4 Speed Auto with Shift Mod</a><br>Interior Neons<br>MPFI Conversion [sn]</font>
Old 03-12-2003, 19:55   #9 (permalink)
Driver of a BA XR8!

What they may mean by soft is that, apart from warping, the metal does become soft. I have seen a soft head and it usually happens if the head has been done a few times. What seems to happen is that the head can not take the pressure from the head bolts and will get squeezed by them. This just makes matters worse and you may need to do the head again. Let them test it to see if it's soft, if they say it is and your still not satisfied or sussed, get a second opinion. But they do become soft after time and after a few welds, quite a few!
It's just a like a piece of flat metal, the more you bend it the softer it gets. Best explaination I can give.

Good luck

Alex

"Give me any task to do, and I will find something else to do in it's place." Plato - a definition of procrastination
maco65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 22:44   #10 (permalink)
Now boostless :-(

My mechanic says he sends the head off to be tested for 'softness', apparently they test it by dropping a ball bearing type thing on it and see how high it bounces back. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
And what about the price of a reco head?
NAPARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech