Anyone blown a T5 in an I6?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2002, 23:50   #1 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Anyone blown a T5 in an I6??

Hey guys.
I'm just wondering if anyone has managed to blow there T5 in a I6 Falcon.
If ya did , what did ya blow (Gear etc.) and how did you do it.

The reason for the question is that I want to have a rough idea of how cruel I can be to my T5 EA without blowing any gears. My main concern is 1st to 2nd gear change.

Anyone here do FLAT CHANGES?
How did it hold up?

Do they have a reputation as a strong box, do they have a poor reputation similar to the VN-VP commo V8 gearboxes?

Thanks guys.
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2002, 00:39   #2 (permalink)
gone

The T5 is fairly produced as a strong box, yes the week link is 2nd gear, however unless you dont supercharge the car and change gears correctly., ie gradual rev increase in the new gear and not the full load of 5000rpms, you shouldnt have a problem.

Keep an eye on the oil in the box as usually thats a good sign that you may have problems!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 01:00   #3 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

hmmm.. so I take it slapping gears at full revs down the quarter with VHT on the track is out of the question?
Old 06-15-2002, 01:03   #4 (permalink)
gone

You wont get much life in the box.

However the trick is to get that gear change down pact so that even if the revs are up you not grinding the teeth on the change!

Not sure., but i think the rating is some 220kws for those boxes!
Old 06-15-2002, 01:11   #5 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Ahh sweet.
Well what I have noticed in my 'experimental sessions' is that if I back off during the change from 1st - 2nd, and let the clutch out quickly, at the same time I hit the accel, the diff will give a bang as a result of the gear slack.
However, if I keep the revs up, around 3000-3500 during the change, and let the clutch out being more cautious (still quickly) she will spin a little, but the change is not as harsh.

I have never done a flat change, even though most people I speak to tell me that you have to if you want to run your best possible 1/4 time.

Thanks dude.
Old 06-15-2002, 05:25   #6 (permalink)
gone

True

But flat change will kill the box within a couple hundered ks!
Old 06-15-2002, 05:57   #7 (permalink)
ex ea driver

bass, i'm sure u would have some fun destroying a T5 in a cupple of hundred kms, even if it did cost u a bit much to fix it.
CATman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 11:50   #8 (permalink)

re:

According to BTR, the Ford T5 5 Speed manual gearbox is rated to around 450nm. This is for the V8 box. For the ford 6 I am not sure but have seen few XR6 at my mechanics with the blown box. I don't mean to offend anyone that has the box but in my opinion they are just a shit box. They are well suited to stock motors but as far as modificatinos go don't bother doing anything more then exhaust + extractors + chip & cold air intake because you are just asking for trouble. You can use them behind moded motors but only if you use it for normal driving (no burnouts, draging...etc) but then again you do not spend all that money on the motor so that you can just cruise in the car. You are better off with a T56 or a Tremec box. Yes they do cost a bit but then again you will have a major chalenge infront of you trying to blow them up. For the 6 cylinder owners try to get the V8 version of the gearbox because It will handle more grunt then your stock 6 cylinder box.
I8AHSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 17:02   #9 (permalink)
Oversized Ben

How much work is involved in putting a V8 box into a 6 though. there would be alot of compatibilty issues with bell housings and so forth. I spose you could just interchange the bell housing from your old box, but what if u wanted to do a conversion from an auto?? is there anything particularly difficult about that??
biggaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 23:01   #10 (permalink)

re:

The only thing that you need to do is change the bell housing because the gearbox is the same length as used in the 6 and there would be no need to modify the tailshaft, uni joints...etc when swaping a I6 gearbox with the V8 version. The whole conversion when swaping an auto for a manual is expensive. I got quoted $4200 from Mal Wood & that's for all the parts that are needed & does not include labour or you can get a Tremec 5 speed which is shit loads stronger & light years ahead in designe then the T5 for $5950 which does not include labour but does inlcude all the parts that are needed to do the job....
I8AHSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech