Argo Conrods and Turbo BA pistons in EA - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2004, 03:27   #1 (permalink)
tgoodlich@hotmail*****

Argo Conrods and Turbo BA pistons in EA

For a strong turbo short motor I'm thinking of using ARGO H beam conrods ($2000 set) and BA STD Turbo pistons ($77 ea). Anyone have any opinions on a short motor setup for 700rwhp. Anyone had any bad experience with ARGO rods???
turbotrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2004, 04:27   #2 (permalink)
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA

Location: gold coast and off playing with 32psi of boost pumping into 4.1lt of pure ohc feralness and developing a 350hp n/a kit for ea-au i6, also making 5.0lt gear soon enuf
Re: Argo Conrods and Turbo BA pistons in EA

agro's are bloody good rods,

i am using pauter rods from the states, costed me 1300 to have landed here. forged 6.3 inch long. chev bb arp rod bolts on the end.

then i got custom forged pistons up top $1500 for them.

acl tri-metal bearings.

heat treated crank.

au block,

12mm crank girdle.

i am hoping this wil handle 850rwhp

cheers.joe.

1000hp is underway. rods,pistons here!! t88 on its way!!
gm dstroya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 07:09   #3 (permalink)
tgoodlich@hotmail*****

GM Destroyer, any reason you are using the AU block other than the crank being a bit stronger due to the bigger mains.

I have an AU engine and gearbox complete but I can't bear to rebuilt to turbo specs as its only done 53000km.

So I'm using EA block, boring out to fit BA turbo pistons and whatever rods, got late EL head (only $370 for new casting with no bosses) and starting head work on that now.

A question I meant to ask you about that head porting article you did was how far back did you take the short side radius on the intake? This is the big question. Also instead of taking the valves guides out (like Gibbards did and its a pain in the ass job to do, I tried on a scrap head with the head cold but nevertheless hard) my machinist said to machine the guide down shorter like they are in the tickford head and just grind them down to a taper with the die grinder. Anyway thats what I'm gonna do. This head uses the 7mm stem valves also.

You also mentioned somewhere on the forum about no aftermarket 7mm stem 41mm exhaust valves for this head. They are available now, since sept 03, PowerMax Engine Valves Part No X3617.

Whats this 12mm crank gurdle???

I've done the turbo manifold. I know that theres been some discussion about how to do. I know theres more that one way to skin a cat but I reckon I've come up with a pretty good design for a street car. I have my own theories but disagree to an extent with discussions read. Will talk to you about once I can get a picture of it up (still got wastegate to weld on) so the debate can continue
Old 06-24-2004, 14:56   #4 (permalink)
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA

Location: gold coast and off playing with 32psi of boost pumping into 4.1lt of pure ohc feralness and developing a 350hp n/a kit for ea-au i6, also making 5.0lt gear soon enuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotrana
GM Destroyer, any reason you are using the AU block other than the crank being a bit stronger due to the bigger mains.
i am using the au block cos it has the 4 bolt mains in it, with the sump being a stressed member of the block. the i6 has a long crank, my main concern was the crank journals floating round at 6800rpm and 34psi, so the sump, the 4 bolt mains and the 12mm crank girdle should beef up the bottom end.

i am using the ef crank, better castings and 12 counterweights for better balance.

Quote:
I have an AU engine and gearbox complete but I can't bear to rebuilt to turbo specs as its only done 53000km.
who cares? bet you couldnt bear to re-build another engine in six months either build it right the first time if you have the parts available to you.

Quote:
So I'm using EA block, boring out to fit BA turbo pistons and whatever rods, got late EL head (only $370 for new casting with no bosses) and starting head work on that now.
yep sounds good! i was using a ef engine (block, crank, rods) in my 750hp engine.

Quote:
A question I meant to ask you about that head porting article you did was how far back did you take the short side radius on the intake? This is the big question. Also instead of taking the valves guides out (like Gibbards did and its a pain in the ass job to do, I tried on a scrap head with the head cold but nevertheless hard) my machinist said to machine the guide down shorter like they are in the tickford head and just grind them down to a taper with the die grinder. Anyway thats what I'm gonna do. This head uses the 7mm stem valves also.
i sent you a return email, check it, if it is unclear, email me back, i'll sort something out for you.

Quote:
You also mentioned somewhere on the forum about no aftermarket 7mm stem 41mm exhaust valves for this head. They are available now, since sept 03, PowerMax Engine Valves Part No X3617.
sweet, thats realy handy to know, cheers for that. :D

Quote:
Whats this 12mm crank gurdle???
the au engine has a 3mm crank girdle standard, i upped this to 12mm and used bisalloy metal.

Quote:
I've done the turbo manifold. I know that theres been some discussion about how to do. I know theres more that one way to skin a cat but I reckon I've come up with a pretty good design for a street car. I have my own theories but disagree to an extent with discussions read. Will talk to you about once I can get a picture of it up (still got wastegate to weld on) so the debate can continue
look forward to the pics.

cheers.joe.

1000hp is underway. rods,pistons here!! t88 on its way!!
gm dstroya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 07:58   #5 (permalink)
tgoodlich@hotmail*****

I thought the AU crank had larger mains so the EF crank could not fit the AU block. I thought I read this in a motor mag. They also stated that the pins were different which I discovered the other day are not.

This crank girdle sounds good. Did you get it laser cut or machined to specs. Would this girdle fit EA/EF blocks. As you said probably should use the AU block but those I6 motors are pretty strong to begin with as they have so many main caps. My 500rwhp turbo holden 202 has no strengthening in that department and I've never had issues there at that power but I will still look into doing a girdle also.

I didn't find that email for the head work. Could you try tgoodlich@hotmail.com

Regards
Old 06-28-2004, 07:01   #6 (permalink)
tgoodlich@hotmail*****

Destroyer, where are you.
Need to work out whether there are any head stud and main stud kits for this engine also. How much did it cost you to do your mains girdle with the Bisalloy??
Old 07-06-2004, 20:07   #7 (permalink)
tgoodlich@hotmail*****

GM Destroyer have you gone on a holiday somewhere?. Well I got my head back from the machinist and wouldn't mind getting stuck into that short side radius. That email you sent didn't come thru. Anyway I was tossing up whether to take out the valve guides out of the head (I tried on a scrap head and its bloody hard even with a hydraulic press and jig I made up to put the head on an angle) so I spoke to the head guy who said XR6 heads just use shorter valve guides that dont extend as much into the ports as the standard ones. So he machined the guides down on my head down to XR6 heights and I will get the cone shape via die grinding. This saves alot of time and possibility of -ucking up the head and I think it will improve flow slightly doing this way.

Re : pistons and rods : Groundbreaking news, ACL are doing forged turbo pistons for the BA which will be out in September/October. There is also a stronger rod that Ford have made for the BA LPG and Turbo but I cant get the part number or rod for that matter as its a bit early. It may be an update for the next model falcon update due in September. The Stronger LPG rod and the ACL forged piston will fit all E series engines and will be a economical setup for a good strong turbo engine.
So hopefully the stronger LPG rods will be able to handle 600-700rwhp mark. Just have to wait and see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech