Ford Forums banner

AU airbox mods

3K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  psycho chicken 
#1 ·
Hi guys - Can anyone tell me where I've gone wrong? On the good advice of a number of my fellow Ford lovers, I changed my stock snorkel for a new Tickford breed and purchased a slightly loved airbox lid off an EF from the wreckers, you know, the one with the tube inside. O.K. the lid fits my base, and the snorkel fits the intake side of my box, but the AU plastic tube on the outlet side of my box doesn't seem to fit the sleeve it goes into. It's loose and looks like there should be a rubber seal or similar there, (resting to scratch my head in disbelief)........... I checked with Ford and the guy said there is no seal or such for the EF. So, do I need to change the tube from the outlet side of my box or what ??? Please help me before I scream like a girl!!!! Thanks guys

#2 ·
Hmm i swapped mine mate and the pipe fitted straight back on. Have you checked to make sure that the hose clamp thing is still there and that it is screwed up tight?

Cheers,
Brad

#3 ·
By the way, check out the aufalcom.com link in my sig, lots of info about AU's and a walkthrough to modding the air intake the same way that you have.

#4 ·
There is a rubber seal that goes inside the end of the new snorkel - just take it off the old snorkel and swap it over. Just so you know, the guys at ford know bugger all about Fords - seriously!

#5 ·
Hmm, never thought of that, I bought my EF lid new from ford spares and now that i think about it i can remember that rubber piece being on it. Your a wealth of info JC!

#6 ·
If it's the outlet side of the box (I was talking about the inlet side for the snorkel) that goes to the TB, same deal - just swap the bits over. It's held in by 4 10mm bolts, easy to undo, and easy to change over.

#8 ·
Hey fella's, I tried all the ideas you gave me, but no go. I thought maybe my Futura airbox was different-no, then maybe it's the second hand lid-no. I even went to two more auto wreckers and checked out other AU boxes and EF lids. They are the same as I have - so what gives? I pushed, shoved, twisted, swapped bits around and even threatened the stupid thing. It just won't seal into the box. Has anyone got some pics they can send me (gordonrkale@hotmail.com) or maybe there is someone in Brisbane or Ipswich who has done this mod and I could have wittle peep at it with my peepers! I tell ya, if I can't suss this by the weekend, it's the blow torch solution.
Rush me with wisdom guys, Ta

#9 ·
JC, you mean the outlet that the piping to the TB goes into, at the back of the lid? Putting the AU one back on will defeat the purpose of fitting the EF lid, the air pick up inside the lid is the only difference between the lids.

AU lover, I have an EF lid, EL lid and AU lid to play with. I'll go see what fits, but I have the same problem with mine, my EF lid doesn't fit the EL piping.

#10 ·
Psycho chicken: let me know your findings. From what jc and the others are saying, this should be an easy task.What we are discussing is the disgusting 3 piece duct (tube) that runs between the TB and box lid. To be sure I thank ya.

#11 ·
Have you checked out AUFalcon.com mate? The tech article about how to do the swap has pics im pretty sure. That might be able to help.

#12 ·
Thanks Blue AU, I did check that article out.If all else fails I may have to go that way. For now I'm looking to do what others say they have done, and it is definitely cheaper and easier, once I find out "how to " Cheers mate!

#14 ·
Casper, does this mean I need to source an EF pipe? if so, will it match up. If not EF - then what do you suggest? Thanks man.

#15 ·
Ok, looking at dad's AU I've figured it out pretty much.

EF airbox lid outlet is 80mm, AU lid outlet is 55mm. To get the EF lid to fit and use AU piping, you'll need a 12.5mm thick and 80mm diameter piece of PVC pipe or something. But as said, that would defeat the purpose of using the EF lid. BA piping on the EF lid would seem to be the best idea, or a piece of 80mm PVC pipe, running from the air box to the flexible hose above the shock tower.

EF piping could be used. But changing EF piping to EL piping (including airbox) has given 3kw on the dyno, so there's not much point there.

#16 ·
Psycho= great effort, and thanks for the data. Come daylight I'll attack the greasy mongrel while it's sleeping and see if I can't work something. After fitting the Tickford snorkel, cleaning out airbox, and fitting a fresh filter, I could notice a difference in the way the car ran. A little smoother and a bit more under the back wheels. I'm hoping I can only improve on that even if just a little. Thanks heaps.

#18 ·
Or attacking the stock pipe with a heat gun lol. I might try that, just because I'm too lazy to paint PVC pipe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.