AU konking out while driving - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2004, 02:09   #1 (permalink)
Krissy

AU konking out while driving

I went out today and the car kept dying on me while I was driving. Got home ok then went out again in the arvo and drove for about a minute and it konked twice. Kept misfiring. Also, you could feel a power loss - It felt like the handbrake was pulled up. Felt very sluggish. Had RACV come out and took it for a drive and it did it again and again so when we got back he did some tests and said it looks like it's the coil pack. Anyone have a rough idea of what it's gonna cost me to have that replaced??

He's recommended a place called Riverside Motors in Werribee. Has anyone heard of this place or been there to have work done to their car? If so, any opinions on them??

AU_Fairmont -S- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2004, 02:39   #2 (permalink)

Re: AU konking out while driving

About $130 for a coil pack plus labour but I would be looking at plugs and leads first.Always check the simple things first.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:25   #3 (permalink)

spot on ...

double check your plugs and leads ...

then check your coild pack .. if you decide to chanbge it yourself .. small tip: work from underneath the car
Old 11-16-2004, 06:48   #4 (permalink)
Krissy

I had my leads changed 3 months ago. Good ones, not cheapies. And with my spark plugs - well they were changed a few weeks ago to Autolites when I had my DEV Kit fitted.

I won't be doing it myself. I've gotta find someone local because my mechanic is in Moonee Ponds and that'll cost way tooooo much for the tow-truck to get it there.

If it was my leads or plugs wouldn't there have been a build up to this happening? Coz the car has NEVER misfired while driving before or anything like that. I reckon the mechanic will check them anyway - if I find a mechanic lol.

Old 11-16-2004, 19:12   #5 (permalink)
MrT

I'm having exactly the same problem only mine happens when running on gas, on petrol it's fine... is this a similar problem??
Old 11-17-2004, 02:08   #6 (permalink)

It would be worthwhile checking your fuel pump and fuel filter.

Ross
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 14:28   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Hey Krissy,

I have heard of Riverside but dont have any first hand experience with them. I will ask around and see if any mates know anything about them for ya.
BlueAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 03:39   #8 (permalink)
Krissy

I got my car back from Riverside today and it's running A1. It was my fuel pump. Mine would warm up then after a couple minutes shut down then start the car again, it'd warm up then shut down and so on... They saved all the stuff that was in the tank. It was dirt, pebbles etc. Doesn't surprise me coz it was a country driven car before I bought it. He showed me the pump. It was covered in gunk. It was badddd. Also had the tank removed and cleaned and lines/injectors cleaned. I'm really happy with them. They treated me well - I recommend them. A warning though - they love their HOLDENS! lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech