Ford Forums banner

AU Spark plug gap?

15K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  JC-XR8 
#1 ·
Ok, I've looked and cant find it. Can someone tell me what the correct (best) gap is for the sparkplugs in the AU XR's???

#2 ·
I'd say 1.0 - 1.1 mm, considering that's what it is for EA-EL.

#5 ·
Will increasing fuel pump size on an Au acheive anything?

#10 ·
Yeah, pumps are the same.

Good work to the guy on ebay who sold an "EL XR8 fuel pump" for over 100 bucks.

#12 ·
Oh no, it was just the pump, no sender unit, nothing at all.

Tell me you can't get a pump from the wrecker for less than that. Someone tell the guy who bought it he could of got a pump out of an EB and it'd be the same part number.

#13 ·
It might be the same part number, but it's probably also 100,000 km older!

Casper - I'm running the new Bosch plugs in the wagon and they have made a big difference to idle, WOT, everything really. They are the ones that have 4 electrodes instead of the usual one, and don't need to be gapped, as the spark finds the shortest path to ignition.

Just another option for you, instead of just using the NGK iridiums (which are pretty exy).

#14 ·
Well yeah, but the point I'm trying to make is, a lot of people will buy something just because it has XR whacked on it.

4 electrodes? Anyone got a photo of this?

#17 ·
Code should be WR91V-6PK, according to the Bosch website.

I'm also interested in a set seems I have no idea how old my plugs are. Anyone got a cost?

#18 · (Edited)
Mate, for someone who has built a fantastic web-site, I'm surprised you haven't heard of google! I'll get the details for you and post them up.

:edit: The part number is WR91V - and guess what - there is no listing for any AU XR6. The WR91V is listed for both AU1 and AU2 'standard motors, but the listing for the XR6 is blank. Don't know whether this means use the above, or that they are not suitable. Although the listing of the 'normal' replacement plug for an AU2 Non-XR6 and AU2 XR6 are both WR9LEV and the WR91V is the Super 4 replacement listed against the Falcon (non-XR6) as well as the AU1 Falcon (non-XR6). The AU1 XR6 is listed as WR9LCX and the AU1 non-XR6 is WR9DCX. So, the WR91V replaces both the WR9LCX and the WR9LEV. It might be worth asking if these are suitable for an AU1 XR6 - then again, it may just be easier to buy the recommended NGK! If it was me, I'd give the Super4s a go in the XR. But of course, if you do and something goes wrong, don't look at me - I was only giving the advice - not the one following it! :edit:

#19 ·
Yeah, I've heard of google, but I couldnt be bothered wading through all its crap tonight :p
Besides, I've just got all the info I need from you guys in 2 minutes. Might give Autorice a call tomorrow, see if they have them. Got to pick up a fuel filter and fit it too. Hmmm, tech article coming up I think.

Not to mention my tinted tail lights that will get fitted tomorrow!!! :s6:

#21 ·
OK, here's a blurb on Bosch's Super 4 spark plugs:

The new Bosch Super 4 Intelligent technology for more power and performance.
The Bosch Super 4 uses the latest surface air-gap principle employed successfully in Original Equipment applications. The Bosch Super 4 features four thin ground electrodes and a pointed, silver-plated centre electrode. This combination is unique world-wide and is now available for use in vehicles with conventional ignition technology. Depending on the engine loading and the degree of wear of the spark plug, the spark selects the best path to ensure correct ignition from one of the four ground electrodes to the centre electrode either via the airgap or via the surface air-gap. Optimum ignition reliability protects the engine and the catalytic converter. In addition, the self-cleaning effect of the surface air-gap spark prevents carbon-fouling of the spark plug. The Bosch Super 4 offers much more than conventional spark plugs. The efficiency of the spark plug, raised by up to 60%, increases engine performance to an optimum degree in every driving situation, throughout the plug s service life. In terms of everyday driving, this means a plus in comfort thanks to quiet running and superior engine flexibility. The ignition reliability is more than doubled, thus keeping the risk of misfiring to a minimum. The resulting improved acceleration ensures a plus in safety. Reliability is guaranteed by the factory-preset gap. The Bosch Super 4 satisfies the service-life requirements of vehicle manufacturers for conventional spark plugs. We recommend that spark plugs are replaced after an interval of 30,000 km (approx. 18,750 miles) and 20,000 km (12,500 miles) for turbo engines.

#22 ·
JC said:
Some maintenance and an illegal mod - what is the Casper-mobile coming to?
Actually, the car is under constant maintenance. I'm not huge on mods but I'm full on about maintenance. It is always getting new oil, new filters, new coolant, general care and upkeep. Just ask my wife, she'll tell you :angel:

As for the tail lights, well they are tinited but certainly not black. I know it's illegal but I also have the original ones just in case. And yes, it is the first visual mod to the car. And apart from wheels and suspension, probably one of the last.

Wheels you say? Yes, stay tuned, as the lace doilys will soon be relegated to track work only. Sometimes you get an offer too good to refuse :wnc:

#23 ·
Casper said:
Wheels you say? Yes, stay tuned, as the lace doilys will soon be relegated to track work only. Sometimes you get an offer too good to refuse :wnc:
pfft, the lace doily's shold be relegated to the depths of mt doom.

#25 ·
where can you get a higher pressure regulator for an EL/AU will this make a lot of difference to HP??

#26 ·
It's one of those things that depend on your other mods. If your car is running lean, it could help. If not, it'll just cost you more petrol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.